• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

somebody hit the jackpot ( 3 gold beans) and NGC no less!!!

57 posts in this topic

Im puzzled as to why someone would want to auction all 3 at the same time. I would think selling one at a time a month apart would yeild the best result. But I could be wrong.

I would guess probably because they are a PDS set, they are all no line fatties, they were all in the same submission, they are consecutive, they are all 65 and all gold bean. I don't know, maybe it's a marketing strategy?

I would guess probably because they are a PDS set, they are all no line fatties, they were all in the same submission, they are consecutive, they are all 65 and all gold bean. I don't know, maybe it's a marketing strategy?

It certainly makes sense to me. Especially with a collector instead of an investor as a potential buyer.

Im puzzled as to why someone would want to auction all 3 at the same time. I would think selling one at a time a month apart would yeild the best result. But I could be wrong.

I think being able to get all three matched items at one shot adds considerable value, because otherwise you might be concerned about missing out on one of them, even if you knew in advance that all three were to be put up for sale in fairly quick succession.

Pretty cool. All appear to have the same general look to them too.

More then likely they were struck at each of the mints at exactly the same time and arrived at the buyers door at the exact same time. :)

I don't know. I'm sure that there are many who like the stickers and the consecutive numbers and all that. But the coins to me don't look all that special....I'm sure they are nice but still.... (shrug)

jom

and all three are under graded, At the same time?

Under-graded by today's standards, at least according to CAC. And since the coins were submitted together, at the same time, it doesn't seem particularly odd or unusual that all three would be "under-graded".

I also don't see what the big deal is - it looks like a nice, matched, conservatively graded set. But the coins aren't rare in grade MS65 or MS66 or MS67.

My guess is that without the gold CAC stickers the set would sell for 66 money. And that with the stickers it will sell for in excess of 66 money. But I don't think this is a "wow" event.

My guess is that without the gold CAC stickers the set would sell for 66 money. And that with the stickers it will sell for in excess of 66 money. But I don't think this is a "wow" event.

What would a "normal" (judging by the coins not the peripheral accoutrements) set of these, say, in MS66 usually go for? I'm not exactly an expert in these....

jom

What would a "normal" (judging by the coins not the peripheral accoutrements) set of these, say, in MS66 usually go for? I'm not exactly an expert in these....

jom

MS65 CDN bid for the set is $750 and MS66 CDN bid is $900. Many sub-par or ordinary commems can be bought for less than CDN bid. So at $1001 the set is currently bid to above what ordinary 66's would typically sell for.

Don't get me wrong - I think it looks like a nice set and the high bidding is not a surprise.

I think I'll "watch" this sale to see where it ends up. I'm curious as to what gold stickers and old holders will do to the premium.

jom

Well considering there are currently 36 watchers, and 24 bids -- and a whopping 5 days left to go -- this set will probably go through the roof price-wise. My guess is the winning bid will be from someone looking to flip them individually like Ankur suggested. (shrug) .

They are so common, I don't personally see the "draw" to the set, but to each his/her own.

If you're a collector working on the 144 piece set this would be a super addition, within reason. This was a time in the series when some say "unscrupulous" things were happening by those who sought their minting and further sale.

The 1937 issue in the 2nd lowest, 8,000 from each mint in the series, behind the 1938, 5,000 each. That's another added plus

1936Texas_Centennial_Brochure_CoverA.jpg

Neat auction, but those are not first generation NGC slabs (those are reserved for the plain white inserts and/or black core holders).
I didn't realize someone mistook these for 1.0 slabs? I believe these are in the 2 series, not sure which subset.

Neat auction, but those are not first generation NGC slabs (those are reserved for the plain white inserts and/or black core holders).
I didn't realize someone mistook these for 1.0 slabs? I believe these are in the 2 series, not sure which subset.

I believe they're actually in the third generation of slabs. 1.0 was the black slab, 2.1 (which came before 2.0) was the all-white slab with an all-white label with the embossed logo inside the plastic. The 2.0 was the same as the 2.1 but with the logo moved to the outside. Then came these slabs, which have the same slab type as the 2.0, but with a label with a border. They're a very cool set though!

-Paul

That is an incredible auction listing.

Why?

Sequential slabs, fattie slabs, beautiful coins, gold stickers, why ask why?

Because to me, while a nice offering, it's not incredible.