• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So What is an NGC 70? posted by MV Coins

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Can a MS 70 or PF 70 Coin Have Any Imperfections?

What is a 70? According to the NGC website,"NGC defines a Mint State or Proof 70 coin as having no post-production imperfections at 5x magnification." Does this mean a coin that that has pre-production imperfections rate a 70? What about an incomplete strike, like missing some of the points on a star? Can this be a 70 coin too?

I've seen many NGC PF 70 coins that under 5x magnificant will have a very minor pit or flaw in the field. I assume these could be part of the original blank and are in fact pre-production issues, but this gets back to the question of what is a 70. I've also seen coins with imcomplete stars (missing 4 out of 5 points) that rate a 70. I have returned a PF 70 UC Silver Kennedy Half Dollar for a review, it had a litteral hole in the reverse, and the coin was bought back by NGC. Which was all fine, but it still makes we wonder what really is a 70?

As a example see the attached image. According to NGC this is a 1981 PF 70 UC Susan B. Anthony dollar. Note the imcomplete star (missing 4 out of 5 point) near the "S" mint mark. Is this a 70 coin or another coin that needs review by NGC?

11949.jpg

See more journals by MV Coins

Unfortunately there is a range that NGC gives 70 to, I have a few that I feel are a bit overgraded. Not all 70's are identical and you will find small differences due to die wear or planchet problems. I do prefer NGC's 70 over a PCGS 70 in the same date and type.

That missing star is interesting, remember they only spend about 5 seconds looking at your coin until they pass it to the next guy and if the final guy doesn't like it he can change or even make a coin none of the other 3 thought were a 70 a 70.

I had a 70UC coin that was pretty rare with a blob of metal protruding from the edge of the coin, I was able to get it replaced through the dealer but who knows what he did with it.

It is good to see NGC stands behind their mistakes, even if they don't admit that they made a mistake.

If you looked at every one of my 320+ PF70UC coins you would find a few that might have something wrong with them but for the most part they are all shiny and pretty. :banana:

The stars in your photo look the same as the stars in other collector's photos of Type 1 SBA's, so i expect the explanation is that this is characteristic of the die and is not a "post-production" imperfection The stars look complete in photos of Type 2 coins.

NGC doesn't always get 70's right, but they do a pretty good job. I have a couple of 70's that I can see "imperfections" on. I also have a few 69's that I can't find a flaw on with a 10x glass. Like you said, they are all nice and shiny and I'm mostly happy with them.