• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pittsburgh people, please help.

3 posts in this topic

Well, I'm thinking about going to the ANA Pittsburgh. I usually enjoy traveling about the host city and taking in the sites. However, I pulled up some websites about Pittsburgh, and there doesn't seem to be tons of historic sites available. What did intrigue me is the river boat tour of the major iron and steel plants. Is that any good? How about some interesting sites to see? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Any advice appreciated.

TRUTH

How far do you want to travel?

The Fort Pitt Museum (and remnants of Fort Pitt itself) are right downtown at the Point. Also downtown is the Pittsburgh Regional History Center (about one block from the Convention Center).

The Frick Art and Historical Center is about 9 miles east of downtown in Wilkinsburg. The main attraction is the restored home of the Frick family. Henry Clay Frick was a co-founder of US Steel. Over 90% of the items in the home are original. Also has a large collection of vintage cars (mostly 1880-1920) and an widely acclaimed art museum.

Old Economy Village is about 20 miles NW of downtown (half-hour driving). Has over a dozen restored buildings on six acres, left by the Harmony Society which blossomed in the 1800's.

Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall is in Oakland, about 7 miles east of downtown and has a military museum. Beautiful building.

The ANA is offering a tour of the Cathedral of Learning's(part of the Univ. of Pittsburgh) famous Nationality Rooms along with the Heinz Chapel and two fountains (one designed by Augustus Saint-Gaudens, the other by Victor D. Brenner) which are all within a few minutes walk of Soldiers and Sailors Hall.

The downtown City-County building has bronze plaques of Lincoln and Washington done by Victor D. Brenner. The Lincoln plaque is very much like the cent.

There are some outstanding buildings downtown if you like great architecture - Dollar Bank, Lord & Taylor's, Union Trust Building, County Courthouse, and the William Penn Hotel.

Old Economy village and fort Pitt seem interesting. Also, maybe a walking tour of downtown and the old architecture. Thanks for the help. thumbsup2.gif

TRUTH