• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two quarter eagles - AU?

12 posts in this topic

First it would be a bit easier for us if the pictures were smaller. They are so big that I can't fit them on my screen.

I would say that the 1851-O is an AU, and it is a better die variety. It has the doubled date, and it appears to be an early die state with the first date, which was punched too low and crooked clearly showing. Doug Winter claims that the piece should be a premium because of that.

The second piece might have been wiped. If so it would fall short of AU because of that. I would need a smaller picture to really decide about that.

That's good. You might also work on cropping your photos if that option is available.

I think that the 1865 has been wiped which would take it out of AU condition status.

Looks like an AU slider and an AU. That's detail wise, I don't like guessing on wipes without other angles of viewing, or if it's painfully obvious. The luster does look muted though.

Can you explain why you think wiped? I would like to increase my knowledge. Thanks

As a previous poster said, you can't be 100% certain of this from a picture taken a one angle, but when I looked at the huge picture the curl in the center of the 1865 quarter eagle had an unnatural color it that you usually don't see on a piece that has just seen normal circulation. There are also hairlines. The 1851-O has a few of those hairlines too, but it's what is often called "market acceptable." I'm not sure about the 1865 however. The color looks kind of gray and dead looking.

This is just a summation from what I see, but I could be wrong.

If the images are fairly true to life, both coins look AU, but possibly/probably cleaned. I base that on what appears to be unnatural color and sheen.

Can you explain why you think wiped? I would like to increase my knowledge. Thanks

As a previous poster said, you can't be 100% certain of this from a picture taken a one angle, but when I looked at the huge picture the curl in the center of the 1865 quarter eagle had an unnatural color it that you usually don't see on a piece that has just seen normal circulation. There are also hairlines. The 1851-O has a few of those hairlines too, but it's what is often called "market acceptable." I'm not sure about the 1865 however. The color looks kind of gray and dead looking.

This is just a summation from what I see, but I could be wrong.

You can quote me, I don't bite.

---

But seriously, Bill and Mark both provided some good insight on detection. I'll just chime in that all of our opinions are based on our experiences, which are all quite different.