• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Like the U S Mint... 2012 S set return info.

9 posts in this topic

For those that were wondering if the mint would have replacement sets or just send you someone else's returned set.....

I Returned a 2012 S set, the replacement that came today looks fantastic and they sent it via Priority Mail...

2012 AE SILVER 2-COIN SET 1 $149.95 $149.95 1 unit shipped on 07/29/2012, 1 units returned

2012 AE SILVER 2-COIN SET 1 $149.95 $149.95 1 unit shipped on 08/13/2012

Out of curiosity, why did you return the set?

I ordered a couple of sets the first 10 minutes they were available. I ordered a couple more the last day they were available.

The first order has already arrived and is in "Received" purgatory at NGC right now. My second order is due to be shipped October 31.

I'll probably get the one you had. Thanks a lot. :)

Out of curiosity, why did you return the set? I ordered a couple of sets the first 10 minutes they were available. I ordered a couple more the last day they were available. The first order has already arrived and is in "Received" purgatory at NGC right now. My second order is due to be shipped October 31. I'll probably get the one you had. Thanks a lot. :)

Welcome to the forums! The mint seems to have been pretty decent in accepting returns of material even with minor flaws, and returned merchandise is carefully checked before going back into stock. I hope people realize you were just kidding about eventually receiving someone's faulty returns with your later order, but please follow up and let us know how it goes.

For those that were wondering if the mint would have replacement sets or just send you someone else's returned set.....

I Returned a 2012 S set, the replacement that came today looks fantastic and they sent it via Priority Mail...

2012 AE SILVER 2-COIN SET 1 $149.95 $149.95 1 unit shipped on 07/29/2012, 1 units returned

2012 AE SILVER 2-COIN SET 1 $149.95 $149.95 1 unit shipped on 08/13/2012

Good to have this first hand report, and glad you were able to obtain an excellent replacement. I'm now waiting for replacements myself, with high hopes.

I hope people realize you were just kidding about eventually receiving someone's faulty returns with your later order, but please follow up and let us know how it goes.

I don't think he was kidding. The returned set will most likely go into a queue to be re-inspected, and if it's good enough, it'll go out again. People receiving their sets in October or November will get a lot of sloppy seconds.

Welcome to the forums!

Thank you! I mostly lurk on these forums, but every once in a while...

I hope people realize you were just kidding about eventually receiving someone's faulty returns with your later order, but please follow up and let us know how it goes.

Half-joking.

I suspect the tail-enders (or those who get sets at a later date) will get "refurbished" returned sets. If someone returns a set because there's a fat fingerprint on the proof, will they (the mint or the redemption center, or where ever they inspect the returns) toss the packaging or reverse-proof in the recycle bin? Does the mint have to brand a returned set as "refurbished"?

Pop the undamaged coin out of its capsule and put it in a new one, how would you know it's not original? It's still a lump of untouched silver in original mint packaging. The box is very nice and can't be cheap, so it might be economically worthwhile to salvage. Now I am also assuming the inspectors might not know why the sets are being returned, and could very well miss a problem.

Now, I assume (there's that word again) the mint has to order more boxes to fulfill the number ordered, and that's why my last day order is over two months away, when I've already gotten my day one order, but it also gives the mint a chance to go through all the returns to get a better chance of knowing how many more coins and boxes they'll need for the rest of the orders. (Yes, that's a run-on sentence.)

Now, on the chance that my last day sets are actually opened and inspected and doesn't sit on a shelf unopened for the next 10 years, I'd like to know why they're being sent back. Just in case. Heh...

Yes. I am a cynic. :D

So let's say the mint pre-made 200K sets. They ship all 200K sets, wait for returns, reprocess them and then order boxes/packaging and press the remaining 57K or so sets they need.

It would make sense to do it that way. But we are talking the U.S. Government.

Yes. I am a cynic. :D

I don't think he was kidding. The returned set will most likely go into a queue to be re-inspected, and if it's good enough, it'll go out again. People receiving their sets in October or November will get a lot of sloppy seconds.

Ewww... Sloppy seconds always had such a... negative connotation. :)

Re-inspected and maybe complete new packaging, I'm not sure how far the mint would go. But yes, I suspect that some will get returns. And I'm sure a PF-65 is within okayness of the mint...

(Actually I'd like a PF-65 from the mint. It'd be a singularity these days!)

Do I suspect many of the mint returns are cherry picked returns? Does a bear... Well, you know.

I ordered my day one sets for my collection. I ordered a couple more on day 30 since the mintage was going to be around that of the 20th....

Out of curiosity, why did you return the set?

I ordered 3 sets on the first day, my returned set was ordered at about 1.30pm.

I'm not real fussy about getting "perfect" coins but both coins from this set had too many distracting shiny spots/ticks for me.

My 2nd single set order was at 8.30pm, the proof was clean and the RP had just a few pin sized "flecks" on the reverse... good enough for me to keep.

3rd single set was ordered at 9.15 pm and both coins were very clean and was sent for grading along with the 2nd ordered set. (from received to scheduled for grading today)

will be interested to see what the graders think..

I've been ordering sets with the reverse proofs since the 2006 issue and have found I receive nicer coins in my later orders. If ordered in multiple sets per order, the coins tend to have “distractions” at the same location.

In 2006 I ordered the max household limit of 20th Anni (10 sets) and was disappointed with the quality of 2 of 3 coins in each set. All the RP's were dull and had the same minor die cracks, 7 MS's had the same shiny circle to the left of liberty… the PF's were okay. Order Date: 08/30/2006

I returned all 10 sets for refund.

Lucky for me, the 250k sets took months to sell-out which gave me time to change my mind and reorder Order Date: 11/02/2006. This time I made 3 separate orders as close using 3 separate running browsers so they’d be filled in a close group. Did 4 sets, 3 sets and 3 sets. They arrived (shipped on 12/20/2006). I opened order #2 and they were gems.

I kept #1 and #3 mint sealed and sent 3 set order #3 to NGC (2 RP, 2 MS, 3 PFUC came back in 70) and 4 set order #1 to PCGS (2 RP, 2 MS, 3 PF got 70’s).

Thinking they may use some new dies for the second run of these 2012 sets, I made 3 orders of 2 sets as close together as I could on the 24th day.

I don’t think the mint uses returns to fill orders. I doubt it would be cost/time effective to inspect and evaluate each coin returned rather than striking an overage for replacements..

Delta – Good luck and let us know how it works out…

Yes, I'm not a cynic... ;)