• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1862 half dime - what do you folks think?

33 posts in this topic

I know who the dealer is but have not had any dealings with him. He has some nice feedback from other forum members/buyers. And he has been around for a long time.

I suspect he is being conservative with a newbie he doesn't know and isn't sure he can trust.

Still, I see that he has other coins listed with full slab shots so I don't understand his reticence in this situation.

I'd walk.

Lance.

For interested parties, the conclusion:

Me: I think I am going to pass on everything at this point.

For what it's worth, I was going to be getting $350 of coins from you (not including the half dime). I'm not sure why you're being so defensive about that particular piece, and it has caused my caution radar to go up and I can't ignore it. The coin is clearly not at an AU58 level, or for that matter even AU50. If it were mine I'd be sending it back for grade review. My curiousity was peaked when I saw the pics, and I wanted to check pcgs, and perhaps see if there have been other auction appearances of that coin. You've made it clear that isn't an option. If there isn't a certain level of transparency when I'm buying I just don't feel right. No hard feelings, and by all means I'm not accusing you of anything untoward, I just don't feel good about the whole thing anymore. I see you have plenty of endorsements from other members, so I am sure you are an upstanding guy - but I don't think my gut is going to let me go through with any sort of deal. I do wish you the best in the sales of the remainder of your collection.

Seller: Just as your radar came up with me being defensive, so did mine when you asked about the cert #. I just can not see why you would need it. You can plug in the grade in your sets to see what an upgrade would do. About the only thing I can think of is to try to add it into your set....at which point PCGS starts sending out emails, trying to verify who owns the coin, possibly having to send pictures, but if I sent you pictures of the coin........If you've never been through this you are lucky.

Just gets messy.That's probably why I was perceived as defensive.If you don't feel good about who I am & how I conduct business then you should pass. No hard feelings at all.

SO...after the sellers response, I am happy I am walking. He didn't address my concerns of the coin being overgraded at all. He ignored my reasoning of wanting the cert #. I still don't feel he is a bad guy, just not the kind of seller I am looking to deal with.

Thanks everyone for your comments and guidance.

These are sellers pics, I know they aren't the best, but it's what I have to go on.

It's currently in a PCGS 58 holder.

4lord4.jpg6zr121.jpg

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

I see no reason this coin is not MS62, frankly. The photgraphs are so distorted that one cannot distinguish wear from weak strike, and it is premature to assume its not graded properly or attractively toned, in the absence of adiquate pictures. The rims are razor sharp and lustrous, so the coin is much nicer than VF, in terms of actual time in circulation. The seller may be concerned that you want to steal the certification number for your registry set, as many people do.

Just playing devil's advocate...