• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1862 half dime - what do you folks think?

33 posts in this topic

Yuck, too dark and I don't like the look of that coin

I agree but I can't imagine it being that bad in AU58. Photo suckage at its finest.

jom

Yuck, too dark and I don't like the look of that coin

I agree but I can't imagine it being that bad in AU58. Photo suckage at its finest.

jom

This was my thought...can it really be that bad?? I mean I know TPG make mistakes...but I was thinking maybe at an AU50 price it might be worth a gamble.

I'd suspect FAKE SLAB. no way is that a 58!

It looks more like a VF and a crummy one at that!

I was thinking the same thing.

I saw the coin and thought yuck. I thought XF details was a stretch. Unless this is simply the worst photography I've seen all week!

I would check to see if there are true views online.

I would send it back if you can. Half dimes come really nice in that grade with pretty color to boot.

I haven't bought it yet, and likely won't. :)

Ankur is right...there are plenty of examples that are nice out there.

I'd also go look for a True View like LincolnFan suggests....

jom

I have no idea what it would look like in hand. The photography is so bad it's impossible to tell.

Why can't people use a sheet of white or black paper when they image coins? I have never understood the obsession with using a busy "carpet" for the background of coin images. But, that's beside the point of it simply being out of focus, etc.

If the coin looks like that in person, it's not even close to AU-58. It is more like a weak VF-20, which would be worth no more than Fine money to me. The reverse looks like a VF-30, but the obverse looks very worn and unattractive.

Sorry, but I can't give this coin a good review. (shrug)

I was thinking VF-30. There are a lot of nicer ones out there, and the 1862 commonly comes super well struck with wire rims and prooflike.

Thanks everyone for confirming my opinion. I know that some here are able to look at poor quality photos and somehow decipher that the coin is likely a nice example - I don't have that skill at all.

I think I'll continue to just buy coins I either see in hand, or those with good pics that I can feel confident with my judgment.

Nice coin BTW Nutmeg.

I'd like to know more about OP's coin. Something very fishy is going on.

Who is selling it? Where? Is there a shot of the entire slab? If not, do you have the cert#?

Lance.

I'd like to know more about OP's coin. Something very fishy is going on.

Who is selling it? Where? Is there a shot of the entire slab? If not, do you have the cert#?

Lance.

The coin is being sold by a member of another coin forum; this was one of many coins the member had for sale and I had expressed interest in several and asked for pictures. At the present moment communication is sparse due to supposed time constraints. I don't have full shots of the slab, cert number, or anything other than what I posted.

I'm not going to out that person, or the forum where they are selling because as of yet, I don't have any proof the seller is trying to fleece me/others in any way.

If I get more information, I will certainly update this thread.

I'm not looking to our anyone either. Just trying to understand how that coin can be in an AU58 PCGS holder.

Sure, the photos suck. But they're good enough to know the coin isn't close to AU, much less at the top of the scale.

It sounds like a mistake was made. Maybe the wrong photos were sent. Or maybe the owner mistakenly said AU58.

If it were my half dime I send it back to PCGS for a regrade and buy-back.

Other possibilities are nefarious.

Lance.

I'm not looking to our anyone either. Just trying to understand how that coin can be in an AU58 PCGS holder.

Sure, the photos suck. But they're good enough to know the coin isn't close to AU, much less at the top of the scale.

It sounds like a mistake was made. Maybe the wrong photos were sent. Or maybe the owner mistakenly said AU58.

If it were my half dime I send it back to PCGS for a regrade and buy-back.

Other possibilities are nefarious.

Lance.

I agree with all of this.

If this is truly a AU58, it should be sent to CAC to see what they say. Maybe CAC will make a new sticker, the RED sticker which means a coin is poorly graded and should be downgraded several points.

Well - I'm beginning to get a bit nervous about the whole thing.

Me: Could you give me the cert # on the 1862 H10c AU58?

I'm surprised from the pics that it is grading that high...

I'm probably going to be in on several of these, just trying to decide if the H10c will be added or not :)

Seller: Why would you need the cert?

Me: Well, obviously I wanted to look it up on pcgs

Not trying to be rude, just curious.

Seller: I can assure you it is what I state it is.

So, my question is this: What would you do? Is there legitimate motivation to not disclose the cert? Is my nervousness warranted at this point? I'm not going to get the 1/2 dime in question for sure, but there are 3 other coins I was going to take. Two of which I was a little excited about, but neither are so scarce that I won't see them in the near future. One is generic so I'm not worried about missing out on that. I'd be in at around $300 for the three coins I'm interested in so its not exactly an earth shattering sum, but it's not insignificant (for me anyway) either.

I should mention I am a new member on the other forum, so perhaps the seller has some healthy skepticism of me?

I don't know, I don't want to be a jerk and back out for no reason (though I haven't committed to anything at this point) but I also want don't want to ignore my gut.

The guy can't give you the cert #? I mean, really, how difficult can that be? :facepalm:

If your "gut" tells you something you ought to listen. Coin aren't that "rare" you can't find another....

Next!

jom

If I was selling a coin and a client asked for the cert, I would without hesitation. provide the cert. I would answer any and all questions about the coin.

Find another.... even better coin

OP

This is a clearly problem piece, not even within a mile of AU58. Issue would be resolved and clarified in a heartbeat by getting the PCGS cert.#; contacting PCGS for verification. NGC makes this much easier, in many cases you get imaging without PCGS' $$ charges for that. This is annother reason why NGC is the leader in customer service and fraud interdiction.

"...I ASSURE YOU IT IS WHAT I STATE IT IS....".

If a person does not have assurance insurance, then a person should consider not being assured.

The potential seller has given a very good self protective answer. In effect, the seller is stating it does not matter what the cert # is, it does not matter what the TPG assigned grade is, etc., it only matters that the OPINION of the seller is that the coin is what the seller states it is.

What happened to trust? Why should a buyer be cynical about such a statement? The buyer must be a jerk if the seller is not trusted after such an honest statement......

I do not see how protecting your position would constitute being a jerk.

But (blah, blah) not doing so might be cause to review the definition of "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" in the dictionary.

Being a new member of anything does not mean a person must surrender common sense and self protection, with the exception of Jump School, of course....

Just my thoughts....

Respectfully,

John Curlis