• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Value Question

36 posts in this topic

The only thing that changed is, now we're grading on an "eye appeal" standard, and collectors got dumber for it.

I don't follow this last point at all. You're saying it's the "eye appeal" standard that's dumbed down collectors? If anything, it's the fact we are all far too DEPENDENT on the TPGs maybe (just maybe) this has made us all lackadaisical in our ability to grade? If that is what you mean by "eye appeal" standard then I agree...otherwise I don't understand you.

jom

A monkey can pick a coin that's eye-appealing to it. What intellect does that take? For that matter, what intellect does it take to collect slabs, stars, and stickers?

The two prices mentioned in the OP are the same - neither has any objective meaning. The only price that has meaning is that negotiated between buyer and seller - and for the coin in question, that amount will likely differ from any published guide.

"Price guides" are simply compiled estimates founded on a very small number of transactions, built on a great many assumptions, and layered with emotions. One cannot equate a coin "price guide" to one for stock, or other defined commodities.

The only price that has meaning is that negotiated between buyer and seller - and for the coin in question, that amount will likely differ from any published guide.

What coin? You mean there's a coin in that slab? :grin:

I like to make up my own mind as to the value I place on a coin. If I want it and It's in my budget I'll buy it because I think it looks good. mkman is right I'll take a less expensive NGC coin anyday. I try to only buy NGC anymore because to me there gradeing of coins fits with my collecting.......madness.

I think PCGS has their head stuck up their .

First the CRAZY inflated prices (even on MS67RD wheat cents, $1,000's difference from the NGC prices), then the fact that they won't accept NGC graded coins on their registry (even though NGC does take pcgs coins and always did), and recently on the CoinFacts pages PCGS started displaying past auction prices realized for NGC coins right next to PCGS coins of the same grade and in 99% of the cases the PCGS prices showed are higher. I'm sure in some cases it was the other way around but these are not on the PCGS website, of course.

(NGC shows prices realized for NGC coins graded only, of course).

NGC is stricter than PCGS on the FBL and FS designations and their population for these coins is WAY lower than PCGS's but the price guide is still not 10x this of PCGS.

Btw I think the point mark feld made about the extra money PCGS coins bring vs. The additional cost is excellent, and many people don't realize that.