• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reeded Edge on eBay

42 posts in this topic

I'm wondering what everyone thinks of this coin in eBay:

Obviously, I'm curious whether anyone believes this coin's toning is "real". I think it's fake as hell but I could be wrong...it wouldn't be the first time.

Thoughts? Why do you believe either way?

jom

PS: this post is NOT meant to be taken as an attack on the seller. The coin HAS been certified...at least.

Jom. I don't have a problem wit the coin itself.

I will say though that I am not familiar with toning patterns on Reeded edge half dollars. I have Bust halves though that display quite similar toning patterns .

This is probably why I buy through reputable dealers when I am stumping up some good cash :)

I think it is a retone after a dip and or cleaning.

I agree with this and would add it looks harshly cleaned under there. Unlikely to end up in a NGC or PCGS holder looking like that.

Good point about the cleaning. I didn't notice until you mentioned it...I see a possibility on the obverse. We'd need to see it in hand to be sure of course.

jom

What do you think of this one? I bought it at the last winter FUN show.

183750centsO.jpg183750centsR.jpg

As for the one on eBay I's say that the piece was dipped and the owner got lucky with the retoning. You can't get passed the rim nick at 6 k on the obverse which probably explains why it is in the ICG holder.

...OR perhaps the blue toning around the rim is too bright which might make one conclude that this is AT .... hm

When I saw the title of the thread I just knew it would be for one of two coins this seller had listed. The coin has absolutely been dipped at least once and the toning might be secondary toning or it might have had help. Either way, I don't like the eye appeal one bit and I wonder if it could make it into a PCGS or NGC problem-free holder. Lastly, we don't really know if the images are tweaked a bit too much, either.

Billjones, I've seen many coins like trade dollars in pcgs holders that have nicks, etc. I'm guessing rim nicks are ok on some coins?

Also I like your coin very much.

I would say that Bill Jones's coin had a lite dip a long time ago maybe as far back as the 70s due to the wet look of the current (and very appealing) tone. It has since been left to its own and is stunning but the difference is it started out a high grade with unimpaired surface features like flow lines. Because the surface texture is close to original it retoned in a close to original fashion just in a stage the beguiles its age. Also by the blue rim tone I would say it spent the 80s in a ANACS holder

Billjones, I've seen many coins like trade dollars in pcgs holders that have nicks, etc. I'm guessing rim nicks are ok on some coins?

Also I like your coin very much.

I prefer to avoid rim nicks on coins. In the old days a light rim nick often lowered the grade by adjective, for example an EF became a VF or Ch VF. For slabs I've seen what looked like MS-64 Morgan dollars get down graded to MS-63.

The thing about rim nicks is if the coin is not that rare, which a Reeded Edge half is not a rare coin, you can find coins without that problem.

Once more going back to the "old days" a rim nick used to be an excuse for a dealer to give a low ball offer on a coin. Having been burned on that I tend to say away from rim nicks unless, it's rare. And even then I want to pay less. hm

I have seen coins with similar color progressions in PCGS and NGC holders, and I agree that it looks like secondary toning after dipping. As was alluded to, it looks like the obverse may also have been cleaned.

I would not pay $525 for this coin.

1) ICG holder – coin most likely won’t cross without a details grade.

2) Chances are very high that this coin is AT.

I don’t have a major issue with the look of the coin - as others have said it is obvious that it was dipped. I think it had some help getting those vivid colors.

Cleaned, retoned EF. Lots of nice luster, but rim damage at the date kills it.

It interesting to hear others talk about a coin. Each person has a like/dislike about coins.

1) Dipping seems to bother people especially early material. You never hear this too much about 20th coins at all....even though many have been dipped as well. As many might already know this doesn't bother me one iota. But too each their own I guess.

2) The rim dings seem bother some people. I often miss this but even on this coin it doesn't bother me. I don't know why.

3) Grading. I find that James is more strict than most with Bust material I've noticed.

I don't find the progression of the toning all that odd...just not something you see too often with Bust material. The "green" bugs me though. I wish I could use Bill's coin as a comparison buthis photo has a white balance issue that make it look "brownish". That being said the photo of the eBay coin could very well have been enhanced.

Tom made mention of his other RE Bust. That one is even more scary...I don't trust that circle of blue on the obverse. Weird if you ask me.

Thanks for the thoughts...keep it going.

jom

I think what one finds is that coinage of this vintage that is circulated and has been dipped looks much different than pieces that are mint state that have been dipped. Those coins that are mint state and then dipped look perfectly acceptable to many folks who find circulated and dipped coinage unattractive.

The possible rim nick does not bother me on this coin as I do not think it affects the entirety of the rim, but rather is more of an obverse only issue.

I think what one finds is that coinage of this vintage that is circulated and has been dipped looks much different than pieces that are mint state that have been dipped. Those coins that are mint state and then dipped look perfectly acceptable to many folks who find circulated and dipped coinage unattractive.

The possible rim nick does not bother me on this coin as I do not think it affects the entirety of the rim, but rather is more of an obverse only issue.

If it is a rim nick or a rim dent, vs. someting else....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

If it is a rim nick or a rim dent, vs. someting else....

Respectfully,

John Curlis

Oops- "something".

John Curlis

It may be just me, but the "pretty" toned coins just look too good to be true. But, as I stated earlier, I am new to all this, So I'm bound to step on my #$%^ and say something stupid. I'll just apologize now for when I do.

Those coins that are mint state and then dipped look perfectly acceptable to many folks who find circulated and dipped coinage unattractive.

I suppose on the opposite end where some find "crusty" unattractive (exceedingly so in many cases for me). But that is what makes it an interesting hobby I guess.

jom

Ok, where is the darn acronym dictionary here, AT and ATS are bugging me. And dipped in what?

AT: artificial toning

ATS: "across the street". Meaning the PCGS forum

Dipped: Coin dip solution. I'm unsure of its contents. Acid based maybe. (shrug) I haven't used it too often...haven't dipped a coin in it in at least 10 years.

jom

I do not believe the pics are accurate. They appear to be juiced up a little and I suspect the coin is more attractive in hand yet the seller is unaware of that.

It also seems that quite a few capped bust coinage has retoned and is often MA.

I doubt any one here will ever view this particular coin in hand for the money though.

Thanks, Now I don't feel so stupid, the only problem is my brain is full. To learn something new I lose something else, hope it wasn't too important.

Those coins that are mint state and then dipped look perfectly acceptable to many folks who find circulated and dipped coinage unattractive.

I suppose on the opposite end where some find "crusty" unattractive (exceedingly so in many cases for me). But that is what makes it an interesting hobby I guess.

jom

I agree completely.