• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three-eyed U.S. Marine? by John M. Robinson II

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I know that Marines can see everything but, this new medal is off a little bit.

I received my first two Montford Point Marines 1.5" Medals. I am extremely disappointed of the quality of one of them.

As background, I worked as the "acting" Curator for the National Montford Point Marines Museum in the early 2000s. I organized their less then operational systems, since I was attending Undergraduate and Graduate studies in Museum design and operations at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. To make this a short story, I brought the actions of the WWII era Montford Point Marines to the fore-front of today's generation. Although I left the Museum under less then friendly terms, I respect the men who fought and scarificed for our Freedoms.

So, I hope you can see why I was pleased with the announcement of the Montford Point Marines Medal. Now, here is the rub: Opening the box from the U.S. Mint one of the coins has a U.S. Marine with a third eye.

Obviously, it is a poor example of the mint's quality of workmanship. My issue is that this coin was minted within the past three weeks, or so.

I have provided a close up of the medal's third eye Marine. Take note also of the numerous spots that surrounds the Marines on the Obverse of the coin.

Ok, now I am venting. My concern is this: I purchased one (1) 3" MPM Medal along with four (4) 1.5" Medals, five minutes after the bell rang to begin the sell of these Medals.

When I receieved the box and confirmed by the U.S. Mint that they were the coins; the entire unopenned box was sent to NGC for certification. Let's face it, I can brag that I purchased some of the very first MPM Medals since, I paid for them at 12:05.

Am I in a pickle if the coins that I sent in to be graded and certified, look like the one below? They are being graded as I type this post.

Since I am still learning from the best, any comments or, sympathies, will be appreciated.

11750.jpg

See more journals by John M. Robinson II

In my expert opinion that appears to be a cancerous polyp but luckily there is a treatment for that. You can ship it back for another. The next one may or may not have issues. That I can guarantee! :banana:

Sorry for your bad luck but until the mint becomes completely automated and also the postal service we are on the losing end at times.

Hello W.C.

Yes, I agree with you about the U.S. Mint. I really have no serious issues with the mint, they have been extremely greatful and understanding, listening to my many questions over the past seven months.

I talked to an U.S. Mint customer assistance member today and she was very helpful. She did, however, confirm that if my unopened box of MPM Medals (1- 3 " and 4- 1.5" purchased at 12:05 on the first day of sale) get graded with less then acceptable condition, I could not return them. The U.S. Mint's policy is only a 7-day window.

I guess that a catch-22 senerio when it comes to "first" coins/medals being sent into NGC for certification, grading and encapulation. An unopened box most be sent to NGC, meaning, the owner can not see the condition of the coins/medals being submitted. I may be missing a step somewhere, in my logic.

:signofftopic:

I received my GSA soft-pack Morgan today from NGC. Graded at MS-55. I was looking at a certain "MS-G," since I only paid $2.00 over spot price, for the coin. Being unable to be sent to NCS first for conservation is another reason I expected a lesser grade. I am pleased with the grade that this coin was given.

Best wishes and have fun in what you are doing.

Jack

Thanks for the sympathy comment, Mkman123. Much appreciated. This coin is already in the return box, ready to go back to U.S. Mint. Even though this is relatively an inexpensive Medal, it is the principle of the issue. IMHO

Have fun in what you are doing,

Semper Fi !

Jack