• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

label or the coin by John M. Robinson II

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Sometimes looking at both the lable and the coin is a important.

Yesturday I visited my local -- raw coin -- seller and picked up six WWII Wartime Cents (Steel); all in pretty good condition. I also picked up two sets of WWII Wartime Cents (P-D-S)that were in singler cardboard 3-hole holders. All were purchased less then ten dollars. Twelve coin in total.

Along with the WWII cents I picked up six additional Cents dating from 1920 to 1948. Each card holder for these coins had the date and the words -- Wheat Penny -- typed on the face of the holder. Since they were all being sold for one price of six dollars; they soon became part of my family of coins.

When I returned home and started my routine of looking over the coins in more detail, I discovered something interesting. One holder had -- 1946 -- typed on the face of the holder but, the coin turned out to be a 1958-D. Another holder had -- 1953 -- and the coin was a 1952.

Since I purchased all of the coins due to the low costs and higher value, the issue of mis-typing and mis-coinage is not really a big issue. On the other hand, had I purchased the 1946 and 1952 Cents as part of my primary collections, I would have been disappointed and with a bit of $$$ out of my pockets.

Lesson to this experience, at least for me.... don't just read the label. Double check the date of the actual coin.

I have inserted an image of the -- 1946 -- label with the 1958 D coin because, the coin looks pretty good for being in a dirty old cardboard holder.

Best wishes to all.

Jack

11699.jpg

See more journals by John M. Robinson II

I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago... purchased what was supposed to be a 1879 IH cent... when it arrived, it was 1889. I called the auction, and still have yet to see the 79, in spite of assurances they would replace it. Only thing was I didn't have the opportunity to inspect it before hand, as the pictures they had were poor in quality. I have learned to check everything, double check, and then check again.

My semi-neurotic compulsion to look at all the detail on the coin could cause the same issue. I could see my self trying to figure out the grade and forgetting to verify the date...