• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A bittersweet newp....1796 Quarter

43 posts in this topic

Bill's coin is truly spectacular and mine pales mightily in comparison. Also, I think Bill might be a little on the low side for his estimation of replacement cost for his coin. My F12 is below-

BTBH1796P12.jpg

I tend not to be fond of coinage below XF45 but liked the AG3 when QC showed it to me a couple years ago. Although low in grade it still shows a lot of detail and the color is quite nice. I see no issues with the scratches or the fact that this was CAC'd. I also like BillJones's and TomB's examples, yet if there's no budget restraint remember member Fletcher's being one that really made my jaw drop.

what grade was this "Fletchers" coin???

I was just looking for pics as I saw it back in 2007 and just found red x's :(

As I recall it was AU55 and just a gorgeous original coin.

This is one of those coins that seems to get more and more expensive with time. I consider myself fortunate to be able to obtain this example that was affordable and eye appealing.

Most affordable examples are not problem free.

I consider myself fortunate to be able to obtain this example that was affordable and eye appealing.

But yours does have problems, market grading resulted in it being entombed in a problem-free holder.

I consider myself fortunate to be able to obtain this example that was affordable and eye appealing.

But yours does have problems, market grading resulted in it being entombed in a problem-free holder.

If what appear to be surface scratches on the obverse are what your are writing about then it looks like we will have to agree to disagree as to if Ankur's coin is a problem-free coin or a problem coin that received a net grade. The coin has AG3 details and is in an AG3 holder, while the surfaces scratches are consistent with extensive circulation and do not necessarily make the piece a problem-coin. Heck, plenty of choice, circulated coins have some scratch marks (or other insults) on them, but I do not think they are all problem pieces.

These early quarters were in circulation for over 30 years. Its no surprise it picked up a few scratches or dings along the way. In either case, it does not bother me.

These early quarters were in circulation for over 30 years. Its no surprise it picked up a few scratches or dings along the way. In either case, it does not bother me.

Coin collecting in the United States was still in it's infancy in the late 1850's... So just because a new Seated design was introduced doesn't mean that this was plucked from circulation so soon.