• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which one

Which one  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which one

24 posts in this topic

Hi all .. well got my job lot of shields from Ebay today .. nice and quick :applause:

if people have been looking at my posts you will understand that i thought i had found something i had been looking for.

well here are some better pictures of the coins and just for a laugh have a go at this poll and see if i did or not ??

Coin A

newcastle197-horz.jpg

Coin B

newcastle198-horz.jpg

Coin C

newcastle196-horz.jpg

Coin D

newcastle199-horz.jpg

"Lily" is an obvious shortened reference to Lillie Langtree. That mid-19th Century coin has Judge Roy Bean provenance all over it. I'd make sure when you submit it ATS you remind them to note that on the slab.

"Lily" is an obvious shortened reference to Lillie Langtree. That mid-19th Century coin has Judge Roy Bean provenance all over it. I'd make sure when you submit it ATS you remind them to note that on the slab.
:signfunny:

:signfunny:

I would go for coin A since Lily was the first name of one of my great-grandmothers and she was born a bit after this coin was issued. She is now long passed, but my younger daughter has as a middle name "Lily", in part because of my great-grandmother.

I was going to comment about "Lily" before reading Tom's post, but I must pass if I want to remain on good terms with him.

Chris

I was going to comment about "Lily" before reading Tom's post, but I must pass if I want to remain on good terms with him.

Chris

An ex? hm

Chris

An ex? hm

No.............a working woman.

Chris

the sexy 1866 with arrows shield nick

and as a bonus it has the name Lily engraved in the shield clever and well done engraving job and not some hack chop shop job

also being right after the civil war it is most probably a momento of some young lady named Lily that died during the war between the states

So give us an answer already Dooly

Well with one correct answer .. and a huge hint ;) it is C a cast contempry forgery

I even put the 1868's together to show how fat the letters are .. check out the T's

Thanks to all who voted .. ps the Lilly is a nice coin and i think it will be going in the collection also ..

the sexy 1866 with arrows shield nick

and as a bonus it has the name Lily engraved in the shield clever and well done engraving job and not some hack chop shop job

also being right after the civil war it is most probably a momento of some young lady named Lily that died during the war between the states

That ought to narrow it down. How many Lilys died in 1866? Or it may have marked a birth; in which case, how many Lilys were born in 1866?

Forget the coin experts, call in the genealogy and census experts. lol

I like A the engraving is neat, but I voted C because if I remember correctly Dooly had been wanting a contemporary counterfeit.

I like A the engraving is neat, but I voted C because if I remember correctly Dooly had been wanting a contemporary counterfeit.

That's insider guessing. You can get prison time for that around here. :grin:

Not insider guessing. If you follow dooly's posts he has mentioned it so it is in the public domain.

;) spot on 101 .. just need to find a fake die type now

Not insider guessing. If you follow dooly's posts he has mentioned it so it is in the public domain.

;) spot on 101 .. just need to find a fake die type now

Yep, just what I alluded to in my first post!

I vote for coin A by a mile. I've never seen a love token or whatever you might call it, with an engraving like that. Usually it's just a few initials scratched into the fields, or it is the traditional love token with all of the devices removed.

With all due respect the other Shield are not very nice.