• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1955 penny error found in loose change

15 posts in this topic

Hi all .. this was found by someone on another form in loose change

20120628_DSCN4295-001.jpg

I know there are a lot of fakes about and was wondering if there are any pointers i could give him ?

Saw the thread on this one as well Dooly. Tell the person to send it in to NGC to really determine its authenticity! I hope its real, would be a great find

Hi all .. this was found by someone on another form in loose change

20120628_DSCN4295-001.jpg

I know there are a lot of fakes about and was wondering if there are any pointers i could give him ?

...from coppercoins site: Reverse

N-S die scratches show throughout the reverse. One noted pair of die scratches makes a long X just to the left of the T in CENT. have him check the reverse to see if there's a hint of this. :popcorn:

20120628_DSCN4296.jpg

Its reverse

someone said something interesting if the fakes are so common why are we not inundated you people posting examples on the forums ?

The coin looks genuine to me. The owner should hopefully be able to confirm that by showing it to a knowledgeable collector or dealer, without having to pay a grading company to authenticate it.

Can NCS help it?

Looks like honest wear and discoloration. The coin's fine for a Dansco, but I don't think that it can really be bettered by NCS to a significant degree.

it's quiet funny watching this on both forums i know where i stand on it .. but i can certainly tell where the real knowledgeable people are

:idea:

The pictures aren't good enough to say for sure if it is real, but they are good enough to say that if it is a fake it is a better than average one.

I think there is a good shot that it is genuine (I don't see anything immediately apparent that makes me question its authenticity). The damage on the reverse will result in the coin being placed in a details or genuine holder if it is sent in for certification, but it is still worth a good sum of money.

The pictures aren't good enough to say for sure if it is real, but they are good enough to say that if it is a fake it is a better than average one.

Because of the difficulty of faking something like this I'd think there's a strong presumption (oh my, what a big word for such a little brain!) it's genuine. Just find a nice photo of an authenticated one on Heritage or whatever and see if everything lines up to the last detail. This isn't hard.