• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Love Tokens by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Due to their small size United States gold dollars were often used by 19th century jewelers to manafacture "Love Tokens".

In his collectors Journal entry "The Lighter Side of California Gold Tokens" http://www.collectors-society.com/JournalDetail.aspx?JournalEntryID=11448Cal Gold "Token" Guy reports that California Gold Tokens and California Denomination Gold Pieces were heavily holed for jewelry.

United States Gold Dollars were another common raw material for jewelry. Due to their small size gold dollars were the perfect choice for "Love Tokens". "Love Tokens" were made by smoothing down one side of a Gold Dollar and re-engraving it with the initials of the recipient.

During the 19th century many gold dollars were defaced to make this popular gift item.

The "Love Token" pictured below was engraved on the smoothed reverse of a U.S. Liberty Head (Type 1) Gold Dollar. The initials "E W" are engraved in very elaborate -script. Instead of punching a hole in the "Love Taken" the jeweler sodered a loop on the top of the piece.

11450.jpg

See more journals by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

With many of these made at the Charlotte or Dahlonega mints - this could have been a rare piece... I'm sure when these were made that no consideration was made to scarcity.

I agree that the -script lettering is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing this piece.

Todd

I've got a couple of seated liberty dimes that have been turned into Love Tokens, one is very well engraved like your example and the other is rather crude. It is an interesting segment of the hobby, kind of like hobo nickels.

Malcolm