• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a fake 1882 shield nickel ?

14 posts in this topic

KGrHqZHJBQE-cNO29BPrUgBBDQ60_12.jpg

sellers picture

the date looks off to me :taptaptap: and no fat legend ?

a "normal one"

KGrHqVHJC8E-mvD26FbBPUUH0Nw60_12.jpg

The thing is I am after a "contemp" forgery of this series .. but is this a new one ?

Yeah, that is a modern fake. It looks to be pretty recent as well - the quality is continually improving. There are clear signs it is fake, but this one requires a bit more knowledge than past ones.

I would be interested to see the surface quality of this one - the chinese fakes have had a pretty unique surface quality up to now.

Definitely a fake and looks like a modern Chinese counterfeit to me. Too bad there is no reverse photo - the Chinese almost always get the star positions wrong.

The contemporary counterfeits usually have a quirky appearance due to hand-engraved dies. For example:

counterfeito.jpg

counterfeitr.jpg

Contemporary counterfeits can be difficult to find. They will take considerable searching.

In however many years I've been shield nickel collecting (longer than I care to think about), I've been able to purchase only 8 false die contemporary counterfeits and a couple cast counterfeits.

I recall a coin show once where a dealer was only too happy to unload what he thought was a crappy shield nickel on me for a few bucks. It was one of the contemporary counterfeits. Guess he didn't look at it closely.

physics-fan: The surfaces on this coin appear in the photo to have a somewhat granular appearance typical of many modern Chinese counterfeits. These surfaces are unlike anything the US Mint produced.

everyone: Compare the shape of the rightmost leaf on the second leaf cluster on the right between the counterfeit and the genuine coin posted. This mismatch in shape is another dead giveaway of a fake.

Guess i am going to have to look hard to find one .. now what do i do about that one .. i contacted the seller and he said i could bid from the uk .. now do i go back and tell him if a snide ?

PS. what should i expect to pay for a contemp one if i do find one ?

You can't bid on that one anymore because eBay pulled the auction.

But if you want a Chinese counterfeit, they used to be plentiful. I guess eBay has banned them now. A little web searching will turn up a manufacturer of them who will ship you one cheap.

A nice false die contemporary counterfeit would probably run you at least $100 if it's recognized by other bidders. I've certainly paid that much (and less when I got lucky).

Morning Howard .. yes he emailed me last night and said he pulled it as someone offered $80 for it

No, that's not the truth. If he pulled the auction, then you would still be able to view the auction with a "closed early by seller" and with the seller's reason.

Since you can't view the auction anymore, it means eBay pulled it (presumably for being a fake).

Possibly he's trying to set you up for a "bargain" at $75 when the mysterious $80 buyer "returns the coin." Don't fall for it.