• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1852 forgery .. three cent coin

23 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1852-Three-Cents-Type-contemporary-forgery-weight-0-8g-/150825334120?pt=UK_Coins_USA_RL&hash=item231de3f568#ht_500wt_1202

Hi all .. never seen one of these before and was wondering how common 3c forgery are

Ps still looking for a shield nickel one for my collection ;)

I'm wondering how, who figured out it was a counterfeit coin? The weight is right for Silver - 75% Copper - 25% .8 grams, but they claim metal as unknown. I'd buy this one no questions asked, going cheap cheap right now and do more research. It would be fun to find out these were made to use during the Civil War.

...such as the wrong reverse? It's also not contemporary with the date on the coin. The fake dies are current Chinese products.

...such as the wrong reverse? It's also not contemporary with the date on the coin. The fake dies are current Chinese products.

I didn't even get the the reverse before I knew that it was a fake. (shrug)

That too!!! :grin:

stop by joe lerners table at shows he usually has a few for sale and/or to show you

they are not rare but you need to look for them and if you look you can find a few for sale at larger shows

neat contemporary counterfeit

I would never have caught it. Didn't know contemporary counterfeits were that good. I have one but you can spot it in a second. Maybe it is a modern fake.

I would never have caught it. Didn't know contemporary counterfeits were that good. I have one but you can spot it in a second. Maybe it is a modern fake.

The date is the first thing I saw. Bloated, distorted, misshapen, etc.

That's the best 3CS contemporary counterfeit I've seen yet and I've seen a few. But, I agree with the observations already noted here. I'm wondering how the seller knows it's contemporary and not a recent fake, though?

That's the best 3CS contemporary counterfeit I've seen yet and I've seen a few. But, I agree with the observations already noted here. I'm wondering how the seller knows it's contemporary and not a recent fake, thought?

Its very likely the seller doesn't even know what contemporary means, and is just trying to sound smart by mimicking words he's heard before.

Obvious fake. Check the spacing and quality of the lettering. The date is very crude. The rim is irregular. This is not a very good fake and is unlikely to fool most coin collectors.

Obviously fake, and NOT contemporary. That is one of the recent modern Chinese fakes

I agree. I don't think that this is an OLD counterfeit; I think that it is quite modern. I've seen a number of contemporary counterfeit Silver Three Cents pieces, and they were all very crude. They also had very toning on them of the most part, and were probably not made of silver. This piece appears to be made of silver and looks new and undipped.

interesting development

so do this means that the new copies 3cs from china will keep getting better to the point of fooling most collectors/dealers??

why does ebay/ usa federal govt allow this stuff to be sold here?

Michael have you been living under a rock? This is nothing new, these chinese fakes have been around AND improving for five to seven years now. And yes some of them are getting VERY good.

Why do they get sold? Because the government doesn't consider these individual little sales to be a problem worth devoting the manpower to. Also a lot of them are listed with the word copy or replica shown on them, but the don't arrive that way. By the way you will notice that the piece in question here is being sold on the UK eBay. It may be perfectly legal to sell it there. Once they are in this country they often wind up in the hands of people who don't know they aren't real and then get resold as real. The governments hands are at least partially tied. They could go after the people here selling them, and they could go after the people who buy the fakes form overseas. But they can't go after the overseas manufacturers or sellers.

They can also go after any domestic producers of these or similar unmarked stuff.

Now that one is domestically produced. Not much chance of bringing the producer to justice though. I'm sure he has thoroughly decomposed by now.