• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How times have changed ... Estimated Mint expenses for 1812

4 posts in this topic

The estimate does not include copper planchets purchased for cent coinage as

this came under a different account.

..........................195xx.jpg

Interesting: It cost as much to feed the horses as to feed the clerk. I notice there is no breakdown of workmen by department.

Neat stuff!

PS: Does the rent on the frame house item align with Oroz/Augsberg's mint building plan in their book?

Interesting: It cost as much to feed the horses as to feed the clerk. I notice there is no breakdown of workmen by department.

Neat stuff!

PS: Does the rent on the frame house item align with Oroz/Augsberg's mint building plan in their book?

The rent for the house & lot from Jacob Cromley was $80 per year and it was marked as

adjoining the rear of the Mint. As far as I can tell from the plats in the Orosz/Augsburger

book the answer to the question is yes.

For those interested in numismatic research: This type of document can provide links to many aspects of mint operations, and is one of the better operating records one can have. The text describes the work of several people and shows the use and repairs of facilities and equipment.

This kind of thing, and presumably many others disme has located, will help use better understand how things worked, why they operated in certain ways, and who was involved.