• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You are the best of us!

4 posts in this topic

Happy Memorial Day

Howdy Friends and Veterans,

Wanted to take the opportunity to extend my thanks to all the Veterans here at the Collector's Society for your service and I wish you all have a safe and wonderful holiday with your families and friends.

In 1967 my Mother remarried to a Marine stationed in Kaneohe and within a year he was serving in Vietnam for the first of two tours and when he returned to us after the second, he was a totally different person. It took many years for me to recognize the effect the war had on my Step Father, he was never able to fully reconcile his experiences in the war and they eventually divorced but I never forgot his sacrifice or that of the other men and their families stationed at Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station in the late 60's. We had regular going away parties for those being shipped out, wake's for those that did not return and welcome home parties, that were legendary, for those that made it back. As I am writing this journal the memories of all those young men and their families and sweethearts have come flooding back and I am filled with respect and admiration for their sacrifice, Semper Fi, Marines!

These individuals represent the very highest character in a citizen of this country and we all owe them a debt that can never fully be repaid. They served during a time when public opinion was 180 degrees opposite of what it is today, they never got the recognition, the welcome home parade or the thanks they deserved.

I am so proud to see the recognition the country pays to Veterans these days and it gives me hope that the country has grown enough that we can recognize the sacrifice of our service members and their families regardless of our own political leanings. Theirs was not to reason why, theirs was just to do or die!

So to any Vietnam Vet that reads this, YOU ROCK!

Happy Holiday and Thank You,

Merlin8*

SGT. US Army, 7th Infantry Div, 1974-1979

11408.jpg

See more journals by Merlin8*