• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post pics of your favorite coins in the upcoming auctions

20 posts in this topic

It's going to be tough to beat that one, when I get home tonight I'll have to take a long look to see what I can add.

I'm almost positive that is the 1866 three cent silver my local dealer offered to me early this year. I declined and he took it to Baltimore and sold it to another dealer. I stopped by the shop yesterday and asked him if it was the same coin. He didn't even know it was in the sale but we both figured there couldn't be too many of that date with that type of toning. He also mentioned the tiny rim nicks.

It's an impressive piece but I couldn't see buying it raw. He even said he didn't know if the color was natural or not, but it sure was "purty". shocked.gif

RGT,

I liked it enough to place a bid and I bought it. I'll start a thread on it when it comes in. I took a chance a buying it raw, why wasn't it slabbed in the first place? Anyway PCGS and NGC have only slabbed 117 in MS and with a mintage of only 22,000 its still a pretty rare coin. I really liked the dramatic die clash and I hope ANR did not over dramatize the color 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Congrats on the purchase. I think I could have gotten it for $800 from him but that was out of my budget. I love the trimes and hope to own an 1866 some day (along with the rest of the dates). He told me he got $750 for it from another dealer so you did ok on the price.

I didn't spend a lot of time looking at it that day but I think the color is pretty close to what you see in the image. I think you will be happy with it.

As for why it isn't slabbed, I didn't think to ask him. I suspect he didn't want to take a chance that it came back AT. He may have just wanted to turn it over for a quick profit. Let us know if you decide to get it graded yourself.

I just edited to add that I took another look at the image and from what my failing memory recalls, the coin may have more blues around the rim that it appears. Then again, it's been a few months. smile.gif

That trime is a nice coin, chinook and does not look AT at all to me from the image. Please let us know how closely the image matches the coin when it's in-hand. thumbsup2.gif

Very nice coin chinook. Congrats! thumbsup2.gif

For what it's worth, the toning looks original too me also, and I would bet that it is going to look much nicer in hand then it does in the image. 893applaud-thumb.gif

John

Congratulations Dave. I'll whole-heartedly agree with Tom that the piece does not look AT. Should be a stunning addition to your collection.

As for ANR's photography, it may not be dead-on but I've found it to be the best of any auction house so far.

Hoot

This isn't actually a coin, but it is a medal for the National Academy of Sciences that is not only stunning but that weighs in at 17.35 troy ounces of gold. shocked.gif528775-NAS.jpg

528775-NAS.jpg.d155ffd6cd459e32b46286f950ce401b.jpg

Wow Tom, that is a nice chunk of metal.

But is that an obverse or reverse image. wink.gif Looks like the reverse to me. shocked.gif