• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mystery Package from NGC by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A few minutes ago the mailman rang my doorbell and handed me a Priority Mail package from NGC. This was a real surprise since I currently have no coins in for grading and have already received my plaque for 2011 Best Presented Registry Set.

When I opened the package I found a copy of "The Expert's Guide to Collecting & Investing in Rare Coins" by David Bowers but no note or explanation as to why the book was sent to me. Then I remembered that this book was the first place prize for last week's "Numismatic Trivia" quiz. A quick check of the "Collectors Society" web site confirmed that I was indeed last week's "Numismatic Trivia" quiz winner.

Obviously I have not had an opportunity to read the complete book but a quick scanning suggests that it is very well written and illustrated. The chapter that I find the most interesting is the one on preparing exhibits for coin shows. For a long time I have been contemplating entering my USA/Philippines Type Set http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=51257 as a competitive exhibit at a major coin show, and the information in Bower's book will be extremely useful when I prepare my display.

The coin pictured is a 1905 Half Centavo PF64 RED with an Eliasberg pedigree.

11329.jpg

See more journals by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

Congratulations on your win and winnings. Your coin looks great.

In another life, I was a museum curator and designer of displays. I know the detailed work that needs to done in order to have a meaningful display.

I am certain with your quality of coins and the dedication that you put into them, you would develop a great display to educated the next generation of coin collectors.

Best wishes,

Jack