• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you say this mint error was

7 posts in this topic

Hi all just picked up an addition to my early farthing collection and was checking which one was going to take the place for 1733 and noted the different Die reverses first then the 2nd N in BRITANNIA ? what do you think it is ?

First Die which i am calling Far N

newcastle150.jpg

Second die which i am calling Close N

newcastle151.jpg

The error ?

newcastle151-1.jpg

I have just had a closer look at the Obverse and they are also different

Far N Obverse .. small ribbons

newcastle153.jpg

Close N Obverse .. long ribbons

newcastle152.jpg

They are not mint errors, just different hand cut dies. Back then each die was made by hand. The central device MIGHT be punched in, but often a lot of hand finish work might have to be done to it. And all of the lettering was punched in by hand one letter at a time. So were the denticals and the date.

OK, I see what you are talking about. Die Gouge, the engraver was probably touching up the lettering and the graver slipped.

Dooly,

I actually see indications of faint ribbons extending from the back of the head on the upper obverse exactly like the lower example. Perhaps you might see them as well if you change the contrast levels.

Cheers!

Wendy

Dooly,

I actually see indications of faint ribbons extending from the back of the head on the upper obverse exactly like the lower example. Perhaps you might see them as well if you change the contrast levels.

Cheers!

Wendy

Hi the scan was not good .. i have taken a picture of the Short and the long

coinsforsale029-horz.jpg

and some position markers

newcastle153-1.jpg

newcastle152-1.jpg