• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st bad ebay experience

36 posts in this topic

I will make two points and one comment.

The first point is that I strongly urge all buyers to avoid all sellers that charge a restocking fee on non-bullion items as I often view the fee as little more than an attempt to coerce buyers to keep sub-standard coinage. The second point is that computer monitors display color and brightness differently from one computer to another and from one display angle to another, which means that although you may believe the images are completely accurate on your monitor, they may not be completely accurate to the potential buyer on his/her monitor. The comment is that this seems like an awful lot of time, stress and effort to go through simply to alienate a buyer and save a few bucks.

To add to what Tom said...it's not worth the time and energy....I think restocking fees are bad for business....returns are simply a cost of doing business and at least your not paying rent and utilities on a brick and mortar shop.

I was setting up some of my auctions this morning and I have two monitors, when I pulled up the coin images on the one monitor they looked too bright and washed out so I thought I was going to have to reimage them.. :censored:

When I uploaded them into my Ebay auctions on the other monitor the colors looked just fine and the images weren't washed out at all....so monitors make a huge difference as Tom pointed out. (thumbs u

Perhaps I have read your listings wrong in the past but dont you refund the bid amount. Not the shipping fees incurred by you?

I do not charge shipping fees and only 2% restock. $4 dollars on a $200 dollar coin is equivalent to 4%. Correct me if I am wrong.

I will make two points and one comment.

The first point is that I strongly urge all buyers to avoid all sellers that charge a restocking fee on non-bullion items as I often view the fee as little more than an attempt to coerce buyers to keep sub-standard coinage. The second point is that computer monitors display color and brightness differently from one computer to another and from one display angle to another, which means that although you may believe the images are completely accurate on your monitor, they may not be completely accurate to the potential buyer on his/her monitor. The comment is that this seems like an awful lot of time, stress and effort to go through simply to alienate a buyer and save a few bucks.

To add to what Tom said...it's not worth the time and energy....I think restocking fees are bad for business....returns are simply a cost of doing business and at least your not paying rent and utilities on a brick and mortar shop.

I was setting up some of my auctions this morning and I have two monitors, when I pulled up the coin images on the one monitor they looked too bright and washed out so I thought I was going to have to reimage them.. :censored:

When I uploaded them into my Ebay auctions on the other monitor the colors looked just fine and the images weren't washed out at all....so monitors make a huge difference as Tom pointed out. (thumbs u

Perhaps I have read your listings wrong in the past but dont you refund the bid amount. Not the shipping fees incurred by you?

I do not charge shipping fees and only 2% restock. $4 dollars on a $200 dollar coin is equivalent to 4%. Correct me if I am wrong.

Actually, $4 on a $200 coin is 2%, as you had written the first time, not the 4% written later. Truly, I am only adding this in good nature because you wrote "Correct me if I am wrong". :grin:

I am not a dealer and just quit Ebay because of other issues that I had with them. However, I would not charge a restocking fee of 1% because it is not a so much monetary fee IMHO but a coersion to push a buyer toward keeping a coin which they may not want. Plus, $4 is not worth fighting over and making a stand for that little amount of money is asking for negs over an amount of money which should not be a deal maker or breaker on a $200 coin (this % confused me too).

I don't sell on eBay. I avoid sellers with restocking fees, for the reason first stated by TomB. I feel that if the buyer does not like a coin, they should pay the return shipping/insurance.

Sorry you had a bad experience!

I personally, do not buy coins off of eBay. I like to work with dealers who have their own website and want my repeat business. I never believed in restocking fees, and I am extremely active in both the antiques and collectibles business. Note that this is just my opinion. I am sure there are a lot of great eBay coin sellers and a lot of great deals. That being said, I would never charge a restocking fee on anything I sell; and I sell other kinds of collectibles on eBay, just not coins.

As for the Meg Whitman comment; this was stated in an old CNBC eBay documentary, at which time she was the acting CEO. She was referring, if memory serves me correctly, to selling. She meant that someone like a grandmother who is not computer literate, is not going to be able to use eBay to replace selling at a yard sale or flea market. I woud have to watch the documentary again, but the quote, I believe; was more about selling, and had little to do with buying.

Respectfully,

'mint'