• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting idea from another forum

14 posts in this topic

Do you remember this strange coin i got in the lot of coins with the 1806 proof halfpenny and the double stamped 1772 halfpenny

bottlesmarch302-horz.jpg

bottlesmarch304.jpg

well it has been said that it could hold a gold coin .. i poopood it at first but i have just done a few sums and i was wondering what you thaught

the "coin" is 21.01g a actual 1806 farthing should be 4.7g-4.8g .. so if there are two together it should be 9.4g-9.6g .. so there is 11.6g more than 2 coins together

in fact there should be almost 4 1/2 farhings in it ?

a 1806 farthing should be 22mm wide and 2mm thick .. this coin is 25mm at its widest and about 6mm thick ( only 3 farthings thick) .. ie: 14.1g leaving 6.9g which dose not work out !

So what could there be in the middle ?

a sovereign of 1817 Closet date is 22 mm and 8g (do not know how thick)

a half sovereign of 1817 is 19mm and 4g (do not know how thick)

A half Guinea of 1806 is 20-21mm and 4.2g And not very thick about 2mm

a 3rd Guinea of 1806 is 17mm and 2.8g also not very thick about 1mm

So all could fit and if we suppose there are only 2 coins and we take 2g off for the copper edge we are left with 9.6g

conclusions:

One sov at 8g leaving 1.6g

two half sov's leaving 1.6g

two half Guineas leaving 1.4g

two 3rd Guineas leaving 4.0g

I could do with the true thickness of the above coins and i may help pin it down further

coinsforsale012.jpg

coinsforsale013.jpg

coinsforsale014.jpg

please discuss my mathematics as it is not my strongest subject

Would there be a good reasoon to hide a gold coin in between two coppers? Was this something known to be done in that period?

Dooly, You have such interesting problems lol

May I suggest, if you have a friend in the medical profession, you have either an x-ray or other non damaging scan done on it (gratis, of course). I personally think the unknown nature of the interior is the most valuable part of this "coin"

(an afterthought ... someone could have just made the thing as a small and unique paperweight)

Interesting dilemma. There's definitely something in there. What to do, what to do? :juggle:

It almost looks like it could be a man's wedding band with two coins attached. Sounds like an x-ray would be the best option.

I was thinking the same exact thing.

Either:

1) Take it to your dentist for an X-Ray (nitrous oxide optional) or

2) Take it to a good jeweler to be split in half like a clam.

Me, I would do #1 then #2. But I'm quite predictable.

Interesting coin. If you just take the basic dimensions you mentioned, 25 mm diameter X 6 mm thk and a weight of 21 gm, the density calculates out to 7.1 gm/cc which indicates it is probably copper alloy. Of course this depends on the amount of relief on the faces and edges, but a gold coin of similar size would weigh about 57 gm. You can determine the density yourself with a simple experiment and that will point you in the right direction as far as material goes, but I do not think there is a lick of gold in your coin, sorry, it is just too light for its size.