• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You Can't Ride This Mule

7 posts in this topic

But you can certainly ponder its existance.

Folks,

In the category of "learn something new everyday", I just read a fascinating article in my PCGS weekly Enewsletter about the

1959-D Lincoln Wheat Ear, YES Wheat Ear, cent. In a nutshell, this coin arrived on the scene in 1986 and has apparently has even sold for substantial amounts at auction, despite its dubious history. None of the grading services will touch it. Maybe it's a throwback to the 19th century when coins of that ilk were popping up all the time. a picture for your viewing pleasure.

Later,

Malcolm

11158.jpg

See more journals by BeawChan

Malcolm,

Thanks for posting the large images. I agree it looks good to me. I find it curious that the Treasury Department has twice "authenticated" this coin, yet the TPG's will not... I'm currently reading "Million Dollar Nickels" about the dubious history of the 1913 V Nickel - it appears to me like this coin was made under similar clandestine activities. The recent issue of Coin World had an expose about the two tailed Canadian Cent being a fake, so I guess NGC and PCGS don't want the possibility of negative press surrounding this coin being labeled a fake.

I also find it curious that a known counterfeiter tried to claim this masterpiece as his own, but was later debunked...

Perhaps Myth Busters should be called in... Do I hear the siren from Ghost Busters in the distance...

Thanks for posting.

Todd

Todd

I read Million Dollar Nickels last year. It is a great book and I agree that something similar probably happened in this instance.

Malcolm