• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My CAC visit today. More pics added!

91 posts in this topic

So today I visited CAC to submit 9 coins I had gathered.

My total was 7 out of 9 including 1 Gold! :applause:

The gold stickered coin is a very simple 1938D Buffalo in a PCGS Rattler graded MS65. When I saw it I knew it was better than a 65 and CAC proved correct!

Other coins that stickered: MS62 Barber Quarter in a Doily, a toned 1913 Buffalo Nickel I bought from Jom, a 1831 Bust Half, a toned Pan Pac commem, and the most important was a 1793 Liberty Cap large cent in PCGS AG3. John said this coin had very choice surfaces and was very nice for the grade. Only 8 of these have passed CAC.

1793libcap-1.jpg

panpac.jpg

Here are some of the others that passed. I did not image the gold stickered buffalo yet. Will do that later this week.

Purchased from Jom!

1913buffalonickel.jpg

Doily

1892qtrdoily.jpg

1831half.jpg

1833half.jpg

Very nice group!

It is important to remember that CAC is not a do all to end all verification.

It is important to learn how to grade on your own and what is nice for the grade in each respective series you may choose to collect. :)

Will they take walk in appointments?

I really like that Pan-Pac!

They take walk ins as long as you schedule an appointment ahead of time.

So....you paid $90 to feel good? I guess that's as good as seeing a shrink, or taking some pills....

Congrats on the ones that stickered. However, I am FAR more interested in seeing pics of the ones that didn't sticker, hearing the reason why, and knowing what your plans for these coins are.

So....you paid $90 to feel good? I guess that's as good as seeing a shrink, or taking some pills....
And the fees are going up soon.

You know, for some people $90 on alcohol in a month is NOTHING. I don't drink but $90 sounds like relatively cheap entertainment to me...considering it will help in the sale of his coins maximizing his profits down the line...not a bad day in my book.

Actually $70. They only charge for the ones that pass. The fee for collectors isn't going up until next year so no concern. It validates to me the coins are problem free and PQ. That and it increases the liquidity of these coins greatly.

I'll do that with my $70 any day. What you choose to do is up to you.

I think CAC is cheap insurance. I learn more from the coins that don't sticker than those that do. My sticker rate is roughly 70% (65 of 90 or so) with one gold.

I paid more in Germany.. ha ha ha.. Long night on 40 Mark Strasse. :roflmao:

I really felt this comment was unnecessary.

He paid $90 for valuable insight regarding the grades and surfaces of his coins. Some may believe they do not need to make use of all the educational tools available to them, but I would be surprised if an accomplished numismatic scholar might fail to see the usefulness in continued education.

I really felt this comment was unnecessary.

Ankur I agree with you %100. RWB what was that comment all about ??

I send my coins to CAC as well as do a lot of other collectors here.

So what is the deal ?

Lets go chase him down and run him over with our Ferrari's :grin:

great coins!

That $90. slam was unnecessary.

I'm jealous they aren't within driving distance of me- I'd love to visit and drop off some coins.

The more priceless thing fir me is learning from John.

In light of that, could you address my question? I am FAR more interested in seeing pics of the ones that didn't sticker, hearing the reason why, and knowing what your plans for these coins are.

I think that just about anyone could learn something from John, if they would be open to it. I know that I always am. And I suspect that many of those who have a great deal to learn are the least willing.

In light of that, could you address my question? I am FAR more interested in seeing pics of the ones that didn't sticker, hearing the reason why, and knowing what your plans for these coins are.

Physicsfan,

As promised here is one of the rejects. I bought it solely for resale in the first place and my plans are unchanged. It did not sticker due to an old cleaning. I didnt see the hairlines, so will have to take a closer look.

I cant post the other one for a few reasons.

2lvlst2.jpg

AJ

Physicsfan,

As promised here is one of the rejects. I bought it solely for resale in the first place and my plans are unchanged. It did not sticker due to an old cleaning. I didnt see the hairlines, so will have to take a closer look.

I cant post the other one for a few reasons.

AJ

Many people mistakenly think that a cleaned coin will necessarily display obvious hairlines, but that is not the case. In addition to looking for hairlines, it's a good idea to look at the entire coin, for signs of an unnatural sheen.

I have to say, I like RWB a lot. I don't know the background on his post but it does seem out of character. Everyone has an "Off Day" and I would likely chalk it up to just being that.

From my experience the CAC stickered coin carries a great deal of weight when it's time to sell. There is no downside to the process as it's laid out (unless you're not the big 2 TPG's).

Those coins are really, really nice!!!!

My $90 [sic: $70] comment was about the OP getting a lot of personal validation and satisfaction for his money – the other things mentioned are fleeting, his stickers are much longer lasting. That meaning seemed clear to me, but obviously the OP did not understand, or I was not as clear as I thought.

From having been involved in the hobby to some degree for many years, the observation is that many collectors of today seem to seek security by having someone else assess the quality of their coins routinely. Special situations, such as authenticity or suspected alteration or die varieties, can certainly commend an independent assessment. However, to me it seems a needless waste of money and time to depend habitually on others to do the thinking. Contrary to learning anything, it is a clear demonstration that a collector is unwilling or unable to learn some of the fundamental knowledge of the hobby.

A generation or so ago, collectors took coins to Wally Breen for certification. If Wally said it was a “Roman proof” so be it – the collector didn’t attempt to question the assessment or learn anything more. Only later did collectors discover that Wally didn’t know what a “Roman proof” was, didn’t know how they were made and had never actually done the archival grunt work to validate what he was certifying. Few Breen certification letters are accepted at “face value” today.

The collector of antique radios does not ask for validation of their every decision: “Does this power cord look frayed?” “Should I turn the dial left or right?” “Is this vacuum tube certified?”

The suggestion is to enjoy the hobby and don’t pay attention to old farts who grumble about the “Good ‘Ol Days when Men were Men and the ‘Ol West was as real as the 25-cent Saturday Double Feature.”