• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009 Lincoln Cents

3 posts in this topic

These were all the rage in 2009 due to the composition of the coins reverting back to what they were in 1909. I bought two of the MS and PF sets for the year.

Sent one set of each to NGC for grading and got some "Top Pops" on the D side of the house, still "Top Pop's" today. The P's were lacking, most in 67 and a couple 68's.

How are these doing now?

Hi Leeg,

I'm not sure I completely understand your question.

The only cents struck in 95% copper in 2009 (weighing 3.11 grams) were those included in mint sets with the satin finish struck in Philadelphia and Denver, and the proofs struck in San Francisco. The regular issue (rolls) of Lincoln Cents for 2009 were of the standard 97.5% zinc and 2.5% copper composition (weighing 2.5 grams).

All four of the designs from the Satin Finish mint sets are readily available in MS69 grade (these are the 95% copper "bronze" cents). The business (circulation) strike, 97.5% zinc composition 2009 cents have top tops in either MS67 or MS68 from NGC. So, maybe these are what you have?

So, in summary, the regular circulation 2009 cents should weigh only 2.5 grams, and are not the same composition as the 1909 cents. Only the Satin Finish and proof coins from 2009 weigh 3.11 grams (95% copper). The US Mint struck a whopping 20 different cents by design/composition/mint mark in 2009!!!

4 designs x 2 mints (P/D) in Satin Finish (95% copper) = 8 coins

4 designs x 1 mint (S) in Proof (95% copper) = 4 coins

4 designs x 2 mints (P/D) in Business Strike (97.5% zinc) = 8 coins

I think Lee purchased the US mint sets and US proof sets given the statements-

"These were all the rage in 2009 due to the composition of the coins reverting back to what they were in 1909. I bought two of the MS and PF sets for the year.

Sent one set of each to NGC for grading and got some "Top Pops" on the D side of the house, still "Top Pop's" today. The P's were lacking, most in 67 and a couple 68's.

How are these doing now?"

I had thought these copper cents and the sets that they were issued in would have done more by now than they have and, in fact, I purchased a few mint sets so that I could have these pieces myself. As far as I know, the mint sets have never taken off. When and if Dansco and Whitman add slots in their albums for the copper issues of 2009 I would expect there might be increased demand.