• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isle of man 1/2p 1786 listed in Spink as Extremely rare ?

3 posts in this topic

Hi another coin out the lot .. it is a George III 1786 Halfpenny S7414 but seems to be without a engrailed edge .. this is meant to be on a large flan but there is no size given .. can anyone help with this .. my coin is 28-29mm wide and 7.7g

newcastle047-tile.jpg

According to Krause the plain edge is scarce but not rare. It lists prices of $30 in Fine to $450 in MS. The engrailed edge is $7.50 to $220.

The wide flan variation of the 1786 1/2d coin is not listed in Krause, spinks list it,coin craft list it but I find Krause lack in their variants of isle of man coins. Which is bad for me as I mainly collect isle of man coins and most of my rare isle of man variants are not listed so all NGC can do is give me a spinks number. The wide flan coin is easy to spot as the beaded dots are not as close to the outer edge, there are engrained and plain edge coins with this large flan. I have a ms63 wide flan engrained edge type. Hope this helps. The standard flan is 26-27mm