• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with French Guiana 1798 Colony of Cayenne 2 Sous coin

6 posts in this topic

Hi .. I have looked in my Krause 3rd edition and I have found the Colony of Cayenne which only lists KM# P1 1789 A 10 Centimes and no pictures ..

it also states "in the 18th C a series of 2 sous coins was struck for the colony. it is probable that contempory imitations of these issues, many emanating from Birmingham out number the originals, these both genuine and bogus, host coins for many west Indies counterstamps..

? is this one of these coins .. and it is interesting that my coin has an inverted V used as the mint mark

+ do they have a value as i am thinking of sending it to NCS for conservation .. looks a lot better than the scan imply's

newcastle056-tile.jpg

It is listed in the fourth edition as KM 1. It says that pieces with a curved base crown are contemporary forgeries (The Birmingham pieces) The P1 10 centimes piece you mention is a Piedfort on a double thickness planchet. These are typically MS or Proof.

The prices listed for the 1789A run from $2 in VG to $35 in XF.

Cheers mate .. now i know it is not worth the earth i have conserved it

New pictures

Frencecolony.jpg