• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cherrypickin' Mint Sets

1 post in this topic

Junk, followed by more junk, then along comes a coin that makes the thousands of other coins worth it...

I go through hundreds of raw coins every month on the modern side looking for that next great rarity. Generally speaking, most modern mint sets are full of what I would call junk - less than MS 65 grades and about 5% of what I see coming out of rolls or mint sets is barely worthy of putting in the soda machine at work...

It can become depressing and boring, wait did I say that out loud?!? I can't believe I commited this cardinal sin, what was I thinking - coins are never boring!! Well then let's just call it frustrating when low grade coin after low grade coin appears.

However, every once and awhile a true keeper comes along. The 1968 DDO Roosevelt has eluded me for the past 3 years of mint set searching, but now I can say I've finally found one! I'm once again stoked, primed, pumped and any other adjective you can think of to describe jubilation.

Very nice example although a little hazy, so this might be a candidate for NCS conservation. The downside is NGC will probably grade this MS 65, but the Cherrpickers' Guide lists it at $75 in MS 65.

I blew up the picture to show the nice doubling on John Sinnock's initials and the "196" of the date.

11073.jpg

See more journals by TD Henson