• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

instant buyer's remorse posted by Yankeejose

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I had not received the coin yet and I had the package ready to ship it back!

I have always liked the Washington silver quarters. I was born in 1958, so well circulated coins were still available in pocket change in the mid 1960's when I started to collect as a kid. I collected the usual things you could get out of change- Silver Roosevelt and Mercury dimes, Jefferson Nickels, wheat pennies. You could not get close to a full collection from change in any of these, but enough different date/mintmarks were available to partially fill a coin book. Even back then, we knew the silver quarters had more value since they were silver, so it felt like instant profit! I was trying to think back how I could afford to save change on a 50 cent a week allowance. The other day my mom reminded me I had a paper route for years. This was until I got my first real job flipping burgers at aged 15- for a whopping $1.25 an hour! My Dad collected coins from change too- but he had the neat albums with the sliding plastic sleeves. I had just had the cheap blue Whitman folders that every time you folded them a couple of coins would fall out. I am sure everyone can remember that frustration!

When I got back into collecting about 6 years ago, my first goal was to complete my raw circulated Washington collection. That was easy except for the 1932-D and S. I eventually got a VG 32-D but still no S mint. I was making a little more money so I decided to switch to MS coins because a lot of them were only 10 to 20 dollars. I bought mainly raw coins that were of nicer quality, but I have also bought some ANACs, PCGS, and NGC. I have learned that for the more expensive coins the only way to go is certified. As I expanded into the 1930's dates, I found they were getting too pricey for me. The 32-D and S, and the 1936- D are $600.00-$1400 just in MS-62. Therefore, I decided I would go for all MS coins except AU for the big three.

I couple of weeks ago I put in a bid on EBay for a PCGS AU58 1932-S for $259, about 3 hours before it closed. The coin did not have nice luster and actually looked way over graded in the pictures- lots of black toning and no breast feathers. Looking back, I do not know why I even bid on it- I think I was buying the holder and not the coin- breaking the cardinal rule! I was not going to be home when it closed and I did not even check to see if I won the auction until the next day when I got to work. Turned out I won the auction for 237.49. I went back and looked at the pictures again and thought -what have I done- this coin is ugly and over-graded! I did not even have it yet and I was ready to send it back!

Then I got the coin in the mail. It did have a little dark toning in some spots- but it still had some luster left. The breast feathers were almost totally complete- a true AU58 coin! PCGS price guide says 410, which to me is just about always excessively high. The NGC/Numismedia guide has it at 318. Turns out, I got a good deal! Not as good as Gary's 1880CC PL- a $750 coin for $220- but I will take it. I think the bidding was not as high on my quarter because the seller just had lousy pictures! A good lesson for all sellers!

I am making my first attempt at adding a picture- will see how it comes out.

Thanks for reading and may great coin buys be in your future!

11069.jpg

See more journals by Yankeejose

It appears you got a good deal ~ sure looks like a nice au to me. Your picture is not to shabby either. I have had the same remorse, also to be much relieved upon arrival of the actual item. Even though PCGS/NGC/ANACS are certainly not perfect, they are more reliable than not ~ use due caution otherwise, unless you know the seller.

I like your new coin also, I just don't know why E-Bay sellers post lousy pictures. Speaking of my 1880-CC PL, the picture on the E-Bay listing was blurry. I only bought it for three reasons at $220 more than AU-58 FMV, but still much less than the $750 FMV (I would have loved to snatch it at $220). Reason one, the price was still %25 less than FMV, two, it was proof-like, and three, it was in a GSA holder. Sometimes a good AU-58 looks better than an MS-62 and especially so in Morgans. Proof like surfaces can also magnify contact marks. When I got the coin in hand, I had buyers remorse for a little while until the coin started to grow on me. Yes it looks a little scruffy, but it looks much better in hand than even my posted pictures of it. Strange, I only bought this coin (reason 4) because I couldn't stand the thought of three registry points for an AU coin. Little did I know that just one week later I could have bought an AU-58 coin with 466 registry points. Oh well, a strange series of events lands me a nice coin I would not have otherwise bought. All is well that ends well!

Gary

Gary-sorry I misread your journal- but you still got a great price for a tough coin- just not the deal of the century as I insinuated in my journal. When I first read your journal, I was thinking I would have found a way to come up with $220 to buy that coin! The addition of XF/AU points got me another 405 points for this coin but the whole process knocked me down about 13 spots in standings!