• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

- Numismatic Cataloger Position Available -

22 posts in this topic

Numismatic Cataloger Position Available - Turn Your Favorite Hobby Into a Full-time Career!

Leading numismatic auction house Stack’s Bowers Galleries is seeking a full-time numismatic cataloger. Requirements include wide-ranging knowledge of U.S. coinage and exceptional writing ability. This position entails extensive research and writing of detailed catalog descriptions for U.S. coins. Proofing, accuracy and attention to detail are a must. Ideal candidate should be willing to learn formatting, style and content at a rapid pace, and must be able to use a PC, research using the Internet and printed material, type with proficiency and accuracy, and understand a basic data entry program following training. Workload varies depending on auction schedule – some weeks will require additional hours and/or weekend work. This position is located in Orange County, California, and is required to work in the Orange County office on a full-time basis. Salary will be commensurate with numismatic skills and experience. Previous professional experience a plus. Send resume AND salary history, plus writing samples, to jeffa@stacksbowers.com. Please no phone calls.

This seems like a lot of fun. It's also in the perfect area for me. Unfortunately, I have no experience and can't write worth a damn. lol

jom

This seems like a lot of fun. It's also in the perfect area for me. Unfortunately, I have no experience and can't write worth a damn. lol

jom

Worth a shot as this is also a SGI owned firm just like TT... So if your able to just describe everything as "Gem. Well struck. Pleasing surfaces." you should be fine hm;)

:jokealert:

Worth a shot as this is also a SGI owned firm just like TT... So if your able to just describe everything as "Gem. Well struck. Pleasing surfaces." you should be fine hm;)

:signfunny:

jom

You forgot Rainbow. Everything at TT is a Rainbow!

Except for the fact that you guys are unfairly equating Stack's-Bowers catalog descriptions with Teletrade descriptions.

The senior numismatist at SB who does most of their US cataloging is extremely knowledgeable, skilled and professional.

This thread is a sad example of the peanut gallery throwing out comments just because they can.

EVP

Oh COME ON! Aren't we being super sensitive about what was clearly a JOKE?

No one in their right mind has EVER equated Stack's with TT. EVER.

jom

I missed it.. must be "thin skin Saturday." Now I have to go looking for something to get offended about.

Anyone who has read S-B catalog descriptions knows that they are written by a professional, and to equate them with stereotyped TT descriptions is either ignorant, or, wait a second, HUMOR!! Thanks for the laughs, guys.

Researching and writing good catalog descriptions requires considerable knowledge and experience. It also takes time to do, and a good description cannot be rushed - yet, there are tight deadlines in the auction business.

For those who are interested in the job opening, even in Orange County, try writing interesting descriptions for the 10 best coins in your collection. How long did you take? Now do this for 12 hours a day, no days off, with thousands of coins awaiting your magic touch and consignors ready to pounce.

SPECTRUM GROUP INTERNATIONAL IS HIRING

Please place the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. Send to: Careers@spectrumgi.com

• Graphic Designer

• Copy Writer

• U.S. Coin Cataloger

...try writing interesting descriptions for the 10 best coins in your collection. How long did you take? Now do this for 12 hours a day, no days off, with thousands of coins awaiting your magic touch and consignors ready to pounce.

Ughh. I agree. It wouldn't be everyone's "dream job." Not as easy and exciting as it sounds I'm sure. I wonder if you even get to handle any coins, or if you just have to describe based on computer images...? That's no fun! :P

But would I get an employee discount?! :idea:

Except for the fact that you guys are unfairly equating Stack's-Bowers catalog descriptions with Teletrade descriptions.

My favorite stock description from Teletrade is "Nice Mint."

My favorite stock description from Teletrade is "Nice Mint."

My favorite from TT is when they label something "Rainbow" when the coin is basically a gray color. This makes me wonder who they have evaluating their lots. Steve Wonder?

jom