• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report - Parsippany, NJ

16 posts in this topic

The monthly 80+ dealer show in Parsippany was its usual self today - crowded, hard to get down the aisles and a lot of decent "buzz" in the room.

I saw Airplanenut and Wihlborg, but only had a few minutes to spend with them. Sadly, I have to report that Jeremy got a substantial haircut shocked.gif, so he now looks like his recent Numismatist picture! Wihlborg had his young daughter with him, who was bearing up rather well, I have to say. Wihlborg showed off a couple of new Buffalos - wow! (He again showed me his stunning Delaware commem - see the GSNA show tread - Jeremy is going to have a very difficult time capturing the vibrant colors and luster of that coin! By the way, it's in an NGC4 slab, used 1989-1992. Wihlborg said he's going to keep the coin in the old slab and not try for an upgrade, as he thinks the older slab adds to the authenticity of the toning. Smart move, I think!) Jeremy continued his string of picking off toned raw coins at cheap prices. Now all he has to do is put them away for a few years and he'll have made his fortune grin.gif

Almost all of the usual dealers were there, despite Long Beach. It was a good show - I saw an NGC-25 1796 dollar, an NGC-55 1811 half eagle, a couple of pattern half dollars, several proof Liberty nickels, etc. (For you slab afficianados, I also saw a AU-55 190something quarter eagle in a PCGS "doily" slab [PCGS3, used December '89 only according to Conder101]. I suppose I should have jumped on it, but I let it get away. Oh well.) I also saw some PCGS rattlers, including some proof 1964 Kennedies - yes, I looked to see if they were AH; no, they weren't.

I took a good look at an NGC-30 1837 small letters dime. According to Breen, only about a third of the mintage was small letters. (Anyone have Greer's book? Does he agree?) I was attracted to it, but decided to pass due to the hit on the N of ONE DIME. Interestingly, NGC has graded only 14 1837 dimes with the notation on the label (and only 2 in VF), so it may not be a rare coin, but it certainly is a rare label grin.gif

As far as southern gold went, there was a surprising selection - two double eagles (1851-O and 1853-O) both AUs in NGC slabs; an O-mint eagle that I had passed on at GSNA, the 1857-O half eagle in NGC-45 that has been in the dealer's inventory for about nine months, an 1851-O half eagle in NGC-30 and an 1854-D half eagle in PCGS-25 - an attractive coin for the grade, actually. There were also some quarter eagles, but I didn't really look at them.

All-in-all, a good show and a nice way to finish off the "season", since I usually don't get to the Parsippany show again until October. I managed to keep my powder dry, as I'm sort-of thinking of going to Baltimore in July.

I very much enjoyed the show... and I came away a real winner, I think acclaim.gif

First, I found a PCGS 1 slab with a white, not blue label... very cool. As Dave mentioned, I also found two very awesome toned raw coins, a 1913 T1 buffalo and a 1958 quarter that I think could go at least 66...

Also, I had three toned morgans on hold since the GSNA show a few weeks ago--I bought that toned war nickel from the dealer at GSNA, and he offered to hold the dollars. When I showed up, he pulled out the dollars and I promptly got rid of one (which I wasn't wild about at GSNA, either). In the end, I took two of them, and they are, IMO just really sweet toners. I'll have pictures up soon.

Regarding Wilhborg's Delaware. I did try to shoot it at the show, however, I didn't have the lights I'm used to, and wasn't able to meter my white balance. Since a good amount of the coin is bright yellow, the white balance, which I had to set to auto, is very, very off... Wilhborg will mail me the coin and I'll shoot it with my normal setup... Dave, it shouldn't be that hard, since really vibrant pieces are often easy to capture.

That said, I made out like a bandit (and was left with a minor lack of $$$)...

To Colorado in a month!

Jeremy smile.gif

Dave,

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting up with, and talking to both you and Jeremy again. While this was the first time I have attended the Parsippany show, I had heard that this was a really good show from a number of people, and from what I saw today they are right, it is indeed a very good show!

I saw some really special coins, but two stand out in my mind. The first was a 1918s buffalo graded MS-65. I can’t remember if it was in an NGC or PCGS holder, but it was simply superb! This coin had everything going for it. It was mark free, its strike and luster were outstanding and to top it off, it had FANTASTIC rings of rainbow tone extending from the rims inward toward the centers! Asking price... $36,000 and change. WOW what a coin!

The other coin that sticks in my mind was another buffalo nickel. I was walking the Bourse and happened to notice what I thought was a really good looking 1928d in an NGC MS-65 holder. I asked the dealer if I could see the ‘28d buffalo and he said you mean the ‘25d? I looked again and it was in fact a 1925d. Somehow I misread the date. The dealer showed me the coin and it was an unbelievable coin for a ‘25d! Fully struck and lustrous, it was bright medium gold in color. It looked like a late ‘30’s issue! Asking price...$6,000 and change.

Here are the two buffalos I was able to pick up.

The first is a 1914 graded MS-66 by PCGS. The obverse is a nickel/blue color and the reverse is a nice light gold.

505192-1914%20buffalo%20obv.jpg505195-1914%20buffalo%20rev.jpg

The second is a 1914s in a NGC MS-64 holder, however I can't understand why this coin is not in a MS-65 holder. It is that nice! It is basically nickel in color, but the obverse has a light gold tinge, and the reverse shows a light blue tint to it.

505198-1914s%20obv.jpg505199-1914s%20rev.jpg

The two toned Morgan dollars that Jeremy picked up were quite nice, as well as the raw 1913 T1 buffalo he bought. After you left, Jeremy and I continued to talk for a while, mostly about the effort that he is putting into his schoolwork and how hard it is. This is something I know about first hand, as my oldest daughter is graduating in a couple of weeks as valedictorian of her high school, and has received three scholarships, so I know how much hard work needs to be put forth in order to excel. I wish Jeremy the best of luck with his education, but from talking to him a couple of times now, I know he will not need it. He is a very bright young man who I am sure will succeed in anything he puts his mind to.

As for my youngest daughter, after you guys left I bought her two coins, a silver panda and a Canadian 1967 proof nickel with a rabbit on it. She loves animals, and has a bunny as a pet, so she is thrilled with her new coins!

John

These are good reports, thanks. Unfortunately, I woke up with a blazing headache and did not want to drive the nearly 200 miles each way feeling like that. frown.gif

Tom,

All of us, including Bob Beels were wondering what happened to you. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We were hopping that everything was all right. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Sorry to hear you were not feeling well. We had a great time at the show, too bad you were not there to join in on the fun, but take comfit in knowing that you were missed! grin.gif

John

These are good reports, thanks. Unfortunately, I woke up with a blazing headache and did not want to drive the nearly 200 miles each way feeling like that. frown.gif
While that's bad... it's better than a lot of other possibilities

To keep your mind at ease, here are some easy ways of showing my feelings:

I went to the show and wanted to go hi.gif Tom!

You weren't there sorry.gif

I was hoping you would show up 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I was scared something could be terribly wrong 893whatthe.gif

Now I'll have to sit around waiting to see you again... for months... popcorn.gif

Months without me? Your feeling cloud9.gifthumbsup2.gifinsane.gifdevil.gif

Jeremy

PS- My parents decided to buy one of the two morgans for me smile.gif Good thing I bought both! smile.gif

OK, why can't I find nice Buffs at shows like this? And...why does Wihlborg get all the nice coins? Grrr.... 893frustrated.gif

laugh.gif

jom

These are great reports and some fantastic coins to boot! Congratulations to each of you.

John - I agree with you about that 1914-S buff. Great strike, anyway. If it's truly a 64, it's because of nicks/tics or subdued luster, because the strike is all there. I'm sure you know!

Also, John, a HUGE congratulations for you and your oldest daughter - Valedictorian!!!!!!! WOW! 893applaud-thumb.gifacclaim.gifangel.gif

And I hope that the animals will always inspire the gentle ways of your youngest girl's heart!

Mark

OK, why can't I find nice Buffs at shows like this? And...why does Wihlborg get all the nice coins? Grrr....

Jom, You do pretty well yourself. Don't tell me you already forgot about those four wonderful buffs you just won at the Superior auction. wink.gif

john not only gets all the nice coins, but then he hoards them!

893whatthe.gif I am defenseless sorry.gif

John, a HUGE congratulations for you and your oldest daughter - Valedictorian!!!!!!! WOW

Hoot, I couldn't be prouder! acclaim.gif

Thanks for the comments guys!

John

John - I agree with you about that 1914-S buff. Great strike, anyway. If it's truly a 64, it's because of nicks/tics or subdued luster, because the strike is all there. I'm sure you know!

Hoot,

I would love for you to see this '14s first hand. There are absolutely no naked eye contact marks on the entire coin. The strike is as full as any I have seen on an MS-65 graded buff, as well as some graded MS-66! Its luster looks fine to me, well within the MS-65 category. I spent about 10 mins looking the coin over before I bought it, trying to figure out way it wasn't in a 65 holder. The only thing I can think of is that they felt the luster was not blast enough that day. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm really thinking about sending this one back in for grade review.

John

Jom, You do pretty well yourself. Don't tell me you already forgot about those four wonderful buffs you just won at the Superior auction.

I really have no idea WHAT you are talking about... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

jom

Sounds like you should send it in for regrade, John. Luster can have a lot to do with grade, and especially how it may enter the mind of the grader on that day or in the moment. The coin simply looks too good and sounds too good to be in less than a 65 holder. I also wish I could see it!

Sometimes I think that because the branch Mint nickels are so hard to grade, there is more wiggle with them, in terms of the final outcome, than with Philadelphia issues.

jom - you covetous fool. wink.gif

Hoot

Will you be at the Baltimore show next month, Jeremy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
Tom... we don't get possession of our house until August frown.gif... and it'll be right after CO, so I should be broke.

On the other hand, I just got back from Baltimore about 30 minutes ago 893blahblah.gif