• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with French 1/2 Ecu

12 posts in this topic

I think these circulated here during the Colonial period, but I don't know enough to be able to help.

This is one coin I would have certified by SEGS, given Larry Briggs' considerable expertise with them.

Thanks Mark. I figured so but thought I check this area first just in case. How would I move this thread over to World?

You could contact a moderator and ask him to do so. Or, you could start a new thread there.

very nice and interesting coin not a type i follow but should grade and you should ask for mint error on the form.. it is defanatly overstruck .. seems to have the crown of another coin

Thanks for the input dooly. You're right, it does have a different crown type but it's another (same era) 1/2 Ecu. The obv and rev are flip flopped from what it was overstruck on. The crown I think you're referring to (currently the Obv) is from the reverse of the ecu that was overstuck. If you have access to the 1601-1700 Krause catalog, I think it originally was something like KM 273.1 and what it is now is similar to KM 295.22. Both 1/2 Ecus had the same obverses but different reverses and were minted right around the same time. The designs even overlapped some years (1690's - 1700's). As such, you'll note above Louis XIV's head is the sun on the Obv but on the back you only see the sun to the right of the crown on the Rev. I think it originally was a 1692 1/2 ecu as you'll see the date on the Rev when actually it should have been under the portrait on the Obv.

I'll send it in but have no idea how they would grade this one. I don't collect this type either (primarily German States) but it was too interesting not to obtain.

No i stop on the 1700-1800 book .. but i did pick a book up the other day "Lajos huszar the art of coinage in Hungary" and it seems it was prevalent during that period to re-stamp coinage (not just from the same country ..I suppose then that it is not a error coin and possibly you would have to tick the Variety plus box ? then they could ascertain the host coin .. I have had some Brazilian coins they did that for me like that..

No problem .. yep its good for the age (1963) lots of pictures .. from Early hammered to people's republic .. and the text is pretty informative

coinsalenew.jpg

not something i would have looked for but got it with a job lot of coins