• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

taking a break from my rants......

15 posts in this topic

what is "TOP POP"?

is it any coin graded at any company that has none graded higher? bringing in numbers from both ngc and pcgs?

or is it only in the company? like ngc only or pcgs only.

like ive now got a couple that mine is the only one that has been graded at that company. is this a top pop?

basicly how do i determan top pop?

please and thank you!

It's contextual in many cases.

So, I would hope one would be descriptive when mentioning "top pop" as in a "top pop" NGC may not be the "top pop" PCGS, or vice-versa.

Sometimes, I might think that a certain coin is undeniably "top pop" at either (ie...some of the early coppers that may reside in one service's slab that is clearly without peer).

I think you mean "pop top", which in theory refers to a single coin graded higher than all others of like ilk at the same grading service.

Of course, the term becomes instantly absurd the way some use it to inflate the perceived desirability a coin when there are several at the same highest grade. In other words, if the population of a 2005-D cent is 1,343,189 graded MS-70 and none graded higher, you will STILL have some people who will call their particular MS-70 a "pop top" coin, but really the term ought to apply only if a single coin represents the pinnacle grade.

The classic phrase that I can't stand is: "tied for finest". That's impossible. Either a single coin IS the finest, or it is not. The correct term would be "tied for the highest grade assigned at XXX", but I guess marketeers will continue to use terms that portray their wares in the best light.

Well, I've always thought of it as "Top Pop". "Pop Top", makes me think of a beer can and the necklaces people used to make with them.

Since we're on this subject, could someone check the PCGS Census for me? I have a 2001-D Kennedy circulation strike which I got from a bag that is graded by NGC MS68, Pop 5, none higher. I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Chris

Well, I've always thought of it as "Top Pop". "Pop Top", makes me think of a beer can and the necklaces people used to make with them.

Since we're on this subject, could someone check the PCGS Census for me? I have a 2001-D Kennedy circulation strike which I got from a bag that is graded by NGC MS68, Pop 5, none higher. I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Chris

Oh thanks Chris, now I have a Jimmy Buffet song stuck in my head.

so true TOP POP is combined between the majors. meaning best.

so what is it when you have the only one graded at a company? like my 1972 LIBERIA 10C PF68 UCAM or 1834 GERMANY 1S MECKLENBURG-SCHWERIN.

and it was mentioned about tied for finest. what is it called when i have 1 of 10 at a grade with nothing higher then?

Thanks!

Chris

Next, we'll discuss the benefits of frozen margaritas.

Thanks!

Chris

All of a sudden I am overcome with the desire to spike my cup of coffee.

Thanks!

Chris

All of a sudden I am overcome with the desire to spike my cup of coffee.

Some people say that there's a woman to blame, and they're gol darned right!

This thread started off sounding like a Dr Suess book...."Do not hop on POP!" And now its starting to sound like....well... I don't know..:Did Dr Suess have a book about Margaritaville?.....