• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bought a Peace dollar today!

21 posts in this topic

With every series I collect, I have albums to stuff! Well, for Peace dollars, that's a very slow process for a lot of reasons, but mostly because those I typically see are wrecked by dipping or have been handled badly, leaving bad marks or blotchy toning, etc. It's tough to come across a fully original coin, with crusty surfaces, a nice strike, and with few enough marks that it doesn't look like WWIII. Anyhow, here's a beauty that I came across today at my local shop... undergraded, I might add. smile.gif

503774-1926-S%20%241%20MS63%20WmsGal%20obv.jpg

503775-1926-S%20%241%20MS63%20WmsGal%20rev.jpg

Hoot

You guys are fantastic! smile.gif

The coin was graded MS63, but it was a clear 64. In fact, I pointed that out to the shop manager, who looked at it and agreed completely. (He is a good friend and pulls no BS when talking coins.) I sat and talked with him about the characteristics of the coin: very well struck in the central devices and above average for the issue in the periphery; original skin and full of luster (that does not show in the scan - at all!); struck from dies that were not fatigued or polished to beat the band; a blush of central orange-gold toning and overall eye-appealing.

Thanks for the comments! flowerred.gif

Hoot

Even though I have given up on collecting US coins - still soemthing about those Peace dollars 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nice one Hoot thumbsup2.gif

Ditto. Very strong strike. I too like the Peace dollars, but was always turned off by the lack of available quality coins, and further more, those with a reasonable price tag. Nice find. thumbsup2.gif

Hoot,

That's a pretty coin, for all the reasons you noted. I really love the look of those coins when they are undipped. They almost appear to have been coated in silver dust, and the luster booms. Thought you might like the curio below to add to your notes.

DeFrancicsi.jpg

Fantastic Don! Thank you for the picture of Theresa De Francisci! (Hope I spelled that right!) cool.gif

Hoot

Nice Dollar, Hoot. There are some nice Peace dollars out there, if you look long enough. Attached is a MS65 PCGS, 1926-P dollar that is probably undergraded by todays standards, but is pretty clean with some toning.

506579-1925-Peace.jpg.0cc844f97a9afb78a6e7530eed867edb.jpg

That's a wonderful Peace dollar, Hoot! smile.gif It has nice skin, I find that type of patina quite attractive. It also looks clearly MS64, from the image, to me. Heck, this entire thread has cool things in it, like Charlie's terrific Peace dollar and the picture Don put up of Theresa. I guess we should be thankful that Anthony taped open Theresa's eyes while she sat for him, eh? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess we should be thankful that Anthony taped open Theresa's eyes while she sat for him, eh? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

893whatthe.gif

insane.gif

Thanks for the comments Tom!

Hoot

Nice coin, but there is a typo on the coin itself...

wink.gif

EVP

In my best vampire tongue: Vat do you mean?

Hoot

Vy ist trvst spelt zat vay?

I vould not know! Zat ees vy ve trvst yov for yovr exceptional egspvrtees! insane.gif

Hoot

Vy ist trvst spelt zat vay?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Maybe it’s a rare error! Yeah…Yeah, that’s it, a rare error. cloud9.gif

Quick Hoot get that coin listed on eBay right away, you’ll be rich! wink.gif

John

Thanks for the compliments, guys. The coin has a little chatter on the neck and a couple luster breaks, but overall pretty nice.

Think that I need to resubmit some Peace dollars and some of my gold coins. My Peace dollar set has dropped to 16th place, but gradflation has moved ever onward. Many of my coins were graded some time ago (i.e. Green label PCGS era) and need to be reevaluated.