• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New sidebar

42 posts in this topic

I really like it but I have to run at 1280x768 to see the type well (old eyes). The new bar makes everything go wide body and I have to scroll left to right on every thread. Without the bar I only have to scroll when someone post an image that's really large, 1200x plus.

I view the site on my Droid frequently as well and I don't find it distracting on the left. It's great that the option is there to turn it off. More of a problem on my Droid phone was when creating a post (this was pre-sidebar BTW) frequently the text of the post would disappear behind the keyboard in landscape mode. In portrait mode the keyboard was too small for my fat fingers. I managed to solve that problem by ditching the Droid default browser and loading a browser called Dolphin. It works much better handling the Droid screen and the sidebar is actually kind of useful with it as I have clicked a couple of links that interested me there. I haven't checked operations on my laptop yet but I will let you know when I do.

• Administrator
Resolution 1280 x 1024. Marketplace does not interest me. Opted out.

Your tag line is very appropriate.If more people actually read and understood Marcus Aurelius the world would be a much better place to live in. Have you read Marcus Aurelius "Meditations"? If not, you may find it very interesting.

Thanks for all you do to keep our forums moving along smoothly.

Carl

Yep, love meditations. He was a pretty interesting guy, made all the more interesting by the fact that he thought like that while being the Roman emperor.

Incidentally, I am sure this not a delusion: the boards move a lot faster now, I presume due to technical enhancements. THANKS for that!

James,

They aren't moving faster. You're just getting older.

Chris

Weird thing is, so are the coins. But they seem to be moving faster than ever :grin: !

• Administrator
Incidentally, I am sure this not a delusion: the boards move a lot faster now, I presume due to technical enhancements. THANKS for that!

James,

Chris

Weird thing is, so are the coins. But they seem to be moving faster than ever :grin: !

Not a delusion. After a false start on the server move, our latest incarnation of the boards has enough RAM to hold most/all of the database in memory. This makes it pretty responsive.

I also turned on something call zlib compression, which compresses the data on pages (like a zip file) before sending it out. Your browser then decompresses on the fly. This benefits people with slow internet connections.

James,

Chris

Not a delusion. After a false start on the server move, our latest incarnation of the boards has enough RAM to hold most/all of the database in memory. This makes it pretty responsive.

I also turned on something call zlib compression, which compresses the data on pages (like a zip file) before sending it out. Your browser then decompresses on the fly. This benefits people with slow internet connections.

In that case, I'd like to amend my previous comment. Yes, the boards do seem to be faster, but James is still getting older.

Chris

It's ok James....people tell me the same thing, especially since I became a grandpa a couple months ago.... My response is generally "I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up"

James,

Chris

In that case, I'd like to amend my previous comment. Yes, the boards do seem to be faster, but James is still getting older.

Chris

I'll take getting older to the alternative any time. :grin:

Carl