• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanks for all the information. I signed on toniCleaning Coins and Grading After

3 posts in this topic

I read the cleaning post below on the forum and appreciate all the info. I put a reply in but didn't realize that I had to start a new topic to get answers. Live and learn.

I have several proof sets of US Coins that I want to get graded to hopefully increase the value. I noticed some whitish film on some of the coins. You have to look at them under a 5x of better lighted magnifying glass to really see this. If you look at the coin even under a non lighted mag it looks beautiful. So..

I have a couple of questions.

*have any of you seen this problem and have you used the acetone process to remove this?

*If so did it work?

*Will the coin still grade after cleaning with this process?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Proof coins are tricky as they are difficult to dry. The milky appearance you describe might be some form of early stage toning or could be the haze that develops after about ten years once it's been dipped. You might try just 1 coin in "pure" acetone for 20 minutes then rinse immediately with warm/hot water air drying afterwards to see how things end up. Then go from there if you feel things went perfectly.

Just remember, you cannot touch the surfaces with anything and no plastic of any kind.

The white residue cannot be removed with solvents like acetone. You have to use an acid-thiourea dip and it takes experience to use it properly. If the proofs are valuable, this task is best left to professionals like NCS.