• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How the Mint in 1795 was able to work so quickly . . .

6 posts in this topic

This item, from a Philadelphia Mint account of June 1795, appears to say “go cart”

but it may also be something else. Alternate opinions are welcome.

.......GoCart.jpg

Hmmmm...maybe they used go carts instead of horses to power the machinery, and that made everything run faster. If the French knew about this, they would have claimed to have invented it.

This is recording a payment to the individual for a Cast.

The individual- possibly Jacob Troscer... or Jacob Froscu????

The "go" could also be old english, which would fit, (walk-in) or could simply be shorthand for gold, meaning a cast for a gold coinage, most likely made of pl. of paris.

Didn't Julian write something about the Director paying $30 for a Cast, and wasn't their some disagreement about it?

Then again, I do like the idea that there was a go-cart in 1795... probably delivered courtesy of one of "them".....

What do I know.

Respectfully, and Guessingly,

John Curlis

This is recording a payment to the individual for a Cast.

The individual- possibly Jacob Troscer... or Jacob Froscu????

The "go" could also be old english, which would fit, (walk-in) or could simply be shorthand for gold, meaning a cast for a gold coinage, most likely made of pl. of paris.

Didn't Julian write something about the Director paying $30 for a Cast, and wasn't their some disagreement about it?

Then again, I do like the idea that there was a go-cart in 1795... probably delivered courtesy of one of "them".....

What do I know.

Respectfully, and Guessingly,

John Curlis

Your guesses are as good as any. It is more likely a “cast” though I could not resist “cart.” The use of

“go” for gold, however, is unlikely.

You are correct about the dispute over plaster casts but this had to do with John Eckstein, who prepared

models in plaster for the Draped Bust designs at a cost of $30.

I read the name as Jacob Force but this is also a guess.

The sum of $30 was a significant one at the time and implies several days of labor for a skilled worker.

I should add that “cart” cannot be entirely ruled out. The Mint did use carts for hauling coal, wood,

copper ingots, charcoal, and a variety of other materials. If this is the case, then “go“ is perhaps a

nickname for some common cart type of the period.

I would like to think it's Jacob Force, the Great-Great Grandfather of John Force, the NHRA Full Throttle Funny Car Champion...it all had to start somewhere?