• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opening An eBay Store

9 posts in this topic

Thinking about opening an eBay Store. Mainly Fixed Price listings.

Interested in comments from those who have a store and which package is best.

TIA

I just opened one myself a week ago because I have quite a few coins I want to sell so I can focus on a new set... so far the savings have been good, because I use a lot of pictures (4 or more per listing, usually) and those are now free. Also some final value fees are lower. But as stated above, it depends on how many items and their price. Here's a calculator that should help:

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/FeeIllustrator.html

some information is needed

about how many items per month do you plan to list

and approximate average price per item

Mainly Auction Catalog's a Numismatic Books. I probably have over 100 in my collection. Some of which I spent over $100 for.

I opened a ebay store a few years ago mostly to thin my comic collection and to occasionally flip a few books. For years the basic store was $15 per month and 3 to 5 cent per listing(30 days). Now the basic store is $16 per month and 20 cent per listing(30 days). I never list over 100 items but when I do list 100 items my cost per month is $36 before any sales occur or final value fees. Listing 50 items, my cost per month is $26 before any sales occur or final value fees. Average sale price per item is maybe $50. It really makes little sense to keep the store open. Especially since I am no longer a power seller and do not receive the 20% discount off the final value fees. The only reasons I have not closed it is I've had it so long and it is low maintenance.

I know for some types of books the store insertion fee is only 5 cent so your mileage may vary.

An alternative to opening a store is to list 50 items per month 7 day auction for free. List 25 items. Two weeks later, list 25 items again by relisting what did not sell and creating new listings to replace what did sell. For example, if you have an item you would like to sell for $50. Create a 7 day auction with a start price of $46 and a buy it now price of $52. This is almost like having a store but is free to list and no up front cost.

I opened an ebay store years ago and it has worked well for me. I am an ebay powerseller with 100% feedback. Usually have 50- 100 items. Its a $15.95 fixed cost with 20c per item variable cost. So 100 items is about $36 a month, much less than a local coin show. I generally prefer listing just items over $50 but a less than $50 line has been very successful. Really big ticket material like slabbed Early 20th Century US Gold from my personal collection I prefer to sell at a show or to clients when wanting to move some.

I make many items BIN or make offer. These are items I have a little room in and set the BIN at Market Value (usually something like CW Values for instance). I set a minimum offer I will accept so the computer automatically refuses low ball offers. Less expensive items I simply put what I want for them. Sales can come in spurts and the summer months are slow. Summer is probably a good time to buy.

Having the Ebay store has freed me from the time and expense of many coin shows as I have a full time job in Financial. I still do coin shows as I enjoy the thrill of the chase in finding nice stuff and getting some sales along the way. My focus is on the Budget Minded Collector, not necessarily big ticket material. Looking at others Ebay stores, figuring their average price per item and total material being offered, their feedback (whats selling), how they describe their stuff is always informative. One guys concept on an ebay store I really liked had approximately 170 items which added up to $17 K, an average of around $100 per item. I think I am going to change my handle to WidgetFan.

I just resigned from Feebay and they are telling me that I can not use my account but I have to wait 180 days before they will close the account with no credits, owes or open purchases. I did close and strip my PayPal account so that they have no venue in order to steal from me.

I wrote to the BBB and the Washington State Attorney General and filed about this, we shall see whether they have the flaunting power which they think they do! They did had to be sued by in a class action suit and be forced in Federal Court to make Ebay to even list a phone number to directly reach them to discuss theft, counterfeits or fraud problems. They are way off base!

I am truly sick of their arrogance on fakes and counterfeits and refuse to give them my money ever again! I was a customer for 24 years! Sorry Lee, I do not want to step on your venture and wish you luck with your store.

OT3, yet despite all of this, they have lower fees than auction houses when you want to sell, and there are 100s of reputable dealers. It sill remains a great place to sell coins for someone of high integrity, great customer service, has his res images and fair prices for the seller and the buyer. It ebay perfect? Of course not because humanity is involved. But I did fine there for a year, sold about 50 coins, made a fair profit of around 10-12% after expenses, and I still continue to buy from honest dealers on ebay. Until a better venue exists, I will buy, and someday, if I have time and need, I will sell. Still a great service despite the flaws.

Best, HT