• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper for the Weekend

43 posts in this topic

Aaron White Satirical, HK-829, SC$1, Copper, Rarity-6

10s93ra.jpg

Although not a HTT I've included this in my collection as it is a Satirical issue. Also dated 1837 it shows the HTT era boar in 1857 is no longer running but firmly hung on a butchers hook to trim the fat. Considered a So-Called Dollar it's the only design I know of which does not represent an exposition, or other event in history. It was privately struck by an individual during the times of political and financial crisis in the United States. This example is hard for me to photograph as in hand it is fully mint red proof-like obverse/reverse with trace delicate deep blue patina in the centers of each side which pop when rotated under a light source.

Aaron White Satirical Dollar - Early Civil War Period

Aaron White, eccentric Connecticut lawyer, believed that the financial strain of the War of the Rebellion would bankrupt the United States and that as a result, all paper money, "greenbacks" in particular, would become worthless. He hoarded hard money as insurance against such catastrophe.

When the hoard was examined several years after White’s death, it was found to contain 350 gold and 100 silver dollars, 200 silver half dollars, 5000 2-cent pieces, 60,000 large and 60,000 nickel cents, 250 Colonials, and more than 20,000 foreign coins.

White struck his satirical pieces to show contempt for greenbacks, printed to finance the war. Specie or hard money was so scarce when the war commenced that the government had to print money to meet its needs. White remembered the suspension of specie payments by U.S. banks and the resultant hard times of 1837 and 1857. Also in his memory was the issue by wildcat banks and private concerns of an avalanche of paper money, value of which fluctuated greatly, and much of which was worthless. He wished to refresh the memories of the people to the curses of paper money.

Obverse: Sow, hanging from hook; to l., Sus; to r., Pendens; above, 1837; below, 1857; legend to l., near edge, Never Keep; to r., A Paper Dollar. Line below 1837 and above 1857.

Reverse: Sow, to r., rooting in jar marked $10; above, Sus (sow); below, Toll Ens (rooting); to r., Deux Sous (two sous); to l., Di Oboli (two oboli—small Greek copper coins); legend, near edge, above, in Your Pocket; near lower edge, Till Tomorrow. (Complete motto, from both sides, Never Keep a Paper Dollar in Your Pocket Till Tomorrow.).

That's a great piece, crammed with symbolism. Thanks for posting it along with the history! Hope I get a chance to see it some day to really appreciate the surfaces and color.

AND....though it's not a US piece, it's certainly copper.

I just got a chance to image my newest treasure picked up from fellow board member, yarm. I love it!

124220.jpg.7643492b12198af32b9506ca7d0ba832.jpg

Brandon - love your new copper! Are you now a Conder token collector?

If it has a horse, I collect it! :)

AND....I love the Conders -- I have about a half-dozen non-horse ones too. ;)

1859 Eleanor Rugg Byrne, Adams/Miller NY-141, Copper, 31mm diameter.

Something most likely 99% of collectors haven't seen... One of the rarer tokens by George H. Lovett struck to commemorate the invention of a composition metal used in the manufacture of jewelry. Only 72 total struck on Copper, Brass, White Metal, and Gold plachets. In 1901 Wright considered this a Rarity-6, value $6.00 (Gold was $18.00 an ounce.) In 1962 Miller valued this token at $125.00 in Fine condition with no price listed in UNC.

2ngaetc.jpg