• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mystery California Medal ? posted by Cal Gold "Token" Guy

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

If anyone knows what this Medal is, and/or where it can be found in a reference guide, please let me know...

I just received this Medal (ebay). I had one like it in my collection a while back. It looks identical to the 1925 California Diamond Jubilee Medal except the obverse legend ("California Diamond Jubilee 1925") is missing and the Golden Gate Bridge (I presume) is now residing in that spot on the obverse.

It is also very similar to the 1937 Golden Gate Bridge Fiesta Medal except that the Fiesta Medal has the wording "Golden Gate Bridge Fiesta '37" on the obverse together with a rising (or setting) sun, while this medal simply has the bridge without any wording or sun.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. (The blue coloring on the miner is simply scanner glare. This Medal is very bright with full gilt and is very high relief.)

Thanks. Cal Gold "Token" Guy

10919.jpg

See more journals by Cal Gold "Token" Guy

I would say that it is the 1925 medal and it looks like some one removed the wording and carved the bridge instead. Worse it looks like they used a dremell to do it!!

Hi

I know nothing about this piece but I will guess this much.

It was purchased at the California Diamond Jubilee 1925 and was and still is a souvenir watch fob.

I also agree with “nunfa0” that after being purchased it was modified to include the Golden Gate Bridge.

Regards

Hi

I know nothing about this piece but I will guess this much.

It was purchased at the California Diamond Jubilee 1925 and was and still is a souvenir watch fob.

I also agree with “nunfa0” that after being purchased it was modified to include the Golden Gate Bridge.

Regards

Ram

Is it possible that unsold fobs were modified in 1937 or thereabouts to sell as commemoratives of the golden gate bridge??

Later,

Malcolm

Hello,

Slightly wrong bridge. Based on the terminology of the time this token is one of the three official medals of the 'San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge Completion Celebration' held from November 11-14, 1936. The key to the medals from 1936 San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge and 1937 Golden Gate Bridge Celebrations is the concrete support directly below the middle of the spans on the Oakland Bay Bridge. The Golden Gate Bridge does not have such a support. You will notice on your token you reference this extra prominent support right above the bears shoulder. This was placed there to avoid any confusion with the Golden Gate. Bridge. The complete 4 piece set is this piece 32.02mm, the regular dated celebration piece bridge on obv flag on reverse 36.08mm, the bridge treaure island piece uniface(also HK-476 so called) 33.40mm and a fourth elongated cent with a very large solid California Bear Hanger on top.

Bill G.

Hello,

Slightly wrong bridge. Based on the terminology of the time this token is one of the three official medals of the 'San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge Completion Celebration' held from November 11-14, 1936. The key to the medals from 1936 San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge and 1937 Golden Gate Bridge Celebrations is the concrete support directly below the middle of the spans on the Oakland Bay Bridge. The Golden Gate Bridge does not have such a support. You will notice on your token you reference this extra prominent support right above the bears shoulder. This was placed there to avoid any confusion with the Golden Gate. Bridge. The complete 4 piece set is this piece 32.02mm, the regular dated celebration piece bridge on obv flag on reverse 36.08mm, the bridge treaure island piece uniface(also HK-476 so called) 33.40mm and a fourth elongated cent with a very large solid California Bear Hanger on top.

Bill G.

This was his first post!!!! Welcome Bill.