• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crossover Advice

35 posts in this topic

It is worth whatever anyone is willing to pay for it when you sell. So I suggest getting it in a NNG holder. :roflmao::facepalm:

I was curious if the coin would appear more attractive if it went through PCGS's mass spectrometry system (a.k.a. the "sniffer"); I'm curious as to whether this would provide additional reassurance to some bidders, and whether this would translate to an increase in bids should I ever decide to sell the piece in question.

I see your point coinman, but in the end, I think it truly is the coin, not the holder, with the caveat that it is in an NGC or PCGS holder. NNC of course was trying to place humor on the issue....... Are you planning to sell? If not, then for the time, I'd say keep in in the NGC holder, remember you also risk the possibility of losing a grade or a *, +, whatever, when you crack out and resubmit.

Isn't the rule of thumb that PCGS graded coins demand a higher price over NGC provided the assigned grades are identical?

Personally I wouldn't attempt a cross though unless you think you might get an upgrade and personally I don't see it with this particular coin. If you are happy with the coin in the holder it is in why move it around needlessly? When it comes time to sell, assign your price to the coin and don't budge. Let someone else pay for crossing if they so choose. Just my 2 cents.

Isn't the rule of thumb that PCGS graded coins demand a higher price over NGC provided the assigned grades are identical?

Personally I wouldn't attempt a cross though unless you think you might get an upgrade and personally I don't see it with this particular coin. If you are happy with the coin in the holder it is in why move it around needlessly? When it comes time to sell, assign your price to the coin and don't budge. Let someone else pay for crossing if they so choose. Just my 2 cents.

I believe that in this case, the "rule of thumb" you mentioned would be offset by the NGC star. If I owned the coin, I would leave it as is.

I believe that in this case, the "rule of thumb" you mentioned would be offset by the NGC star. If I owned the coin, I would leave it as is.

True, I forgot that PCGS doesn't assign stars, but pluses which are not at all equivalent.

There is always risk when you crack-out a coin and send to the other company. In this case, there is no question in my mind that the toning on this Peace dollar is natural. When you send it out, however, there is always the chance that some grader will decide to flag it.

I also believe that sending the coin to PCGS in NGC holder for a crossover is counterproductive.To me it seems like the coin has jump through five or six hoops to the same same or (the impossible dream) a higher grade.

In short I'd leave this coin in its NGC holder.

Yea.. why crack it out? I dont fall for the "PCGS coins are worth more" hogwash. That is a sweet toned Peace Dollar.. I would keep it as is.

That is a nice coin CoinMan! PCGS May not give it a Star.

There is no "PCGS may not give it a star" about it. PCGS does not use the star designation.

I dont think anyone (including myself) who specializes in toned Peace $ would care whether its PCGS or NGC plastic.

I actually prefer the NCG * to any other grade.

Leave as is. That is one very beautiful coin and one of the prettiest I have seen. If those colors were across the entire reverse I would say thats a moose. But its at least half a moose ! And thats better than 99% of the toned Peace $ out there.

Yea.. why crack it out? I dont fall for the "PCGS coins are worth more" hogwash. That is a sweet toned Peace Dollar.. I would keep it as is.

Its actually not hogwash and I feel that it would fetch more money in a PCGS holder. I would cross it.

There is no "PCGS may not give it a star" about it. PCGS does not use the star designation.

No they use the "+".

...at the risk of getting flamed here, in my opinion, i don't understand how it got a star and a 63 with the traffic on the forehead of liberty. :popcorn:

...at the risk of getting flamed here,

Why would you be "flamed" for expressing your honest opinion (i.e. what I really am after)?

in my opinion, i don't understand how it got a star and a 63 with the traffic on the forehead of liberty. :popcorn:

With regards to the star designation, do you feel that the traffic is what keeps the coin from deserving the designation or something else? I could potentially see you expressing two different thoughts with the same language.

No they use the "+".

Now I am confused. I thought the "+" was for a high specimen (in terms of grade) at both services, not for eye appeal per se. Am I overlooking something?

No they use the "+".

Now I am confused. I thought the "+" was for a high specimen (in terms of grade) at both services, not for eye appeal per se. Am I overlooking something?

NGC+ and PCGS+ are intended for quality within the assigned grade.

NGC* is for exceptional eye appeal.

NGC+ and PCGS+ are intended for quality within the assigned grade.

NGC* is for exceptional eye appeal.

That's what I thought.

...at the risk of getting flamed here, in my opinion, i don't understand how it got a star and a 63 with the traffic on the forehead of liberty. :popcorn:

The star signifies exceptional eye-appeal, which I think the coin exhibits, due to it gorgeous reverse color. I also think it deserved the 63 grade, even with the marks you mentioned. I have seen many MS63 examples which had more/worse marks than this one.

Yikes... sorry for causing this trouble you guys......

...no trouble. i just saw the traffic right off the bat and wondered why it still got the star and a 63. mark stated his thoughts and i can understand his reasoning and i'm enlightened. nice coin! (thumbs u

Its actually not hogwash and I feel that it would fetch more money in a PCGS holder. I would cross it.

What I meant by the "hogwash" is that PCGS coins are more expensive than NGC coins in the same grade. For example, I have a 2009 UHR MS70 First Strike.. PGCS lists this coin for over $5000. NGC MS70 Early Release is $4690. Same coin, same grade and recieved by the grading service within their guidelines for the designation.

It is worth whatever anyone is willing to pay for it when you sell. So I suggest getting it in a NNG holder. :roflmao::facepalm:

I was curious if the coin would appear more attractive if it went through PCGS's mass spectrometry system (a.k.a. the "sniffer"); I'm curious as to whether this would provide additional reassurance to some bidders, and whether this would translate to an increase in bids should I ever decide to sell the piece in question.

In my experience, collector's of toned coins don't really care much about the holder. The PCGS kool-aid drinkers like to point out that PCGS coins sell for more money than their NGC counterparts. The entire value of this coin is related to the toning and has absolutely nothing to do with the assigned grade of MS63. So crossing it to a PCGS MS63 would have no effect on the value.

With respect to the marketability of the coin, I think having it in a PCGS holder may increase the number of people interested, but have little effect on the people at the top of the bidding pool who don't rely on plastic to make their buying decisions. Furthermore, having this coin encapsulated in PCGS plastic would create a serious problem for PCGS given David Hall's comments about rainbow toned Peace Dollars a few years ago. For that reason alone, I am not sure PCGS would even grade the coin.

Coinman, I am pleased to hear you say that you won't crack this out to cross it. It is a stunning coin and I would hate to see it get damaged or worse, BODY BAGGED!!