• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arabic?

6 posts in this topic

Got some coins from an old sailer who has collectet coins from his many trips around the world.

think this one was a bit special.

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

Raw,

it does appear to be Arabic writing , but it has a really strange date? 712573 makes no sense to me using the Arabic calendar. If you drop the 7's ( in Arabic V) on each end it would make sense however as circa Gregorian year 1841. Good luck on the translation.

The "V's" at either end are decorations not 7's and it isn't 1257 that third digit is a 0 and the fourth is a 3.

It is accension year 1203 AH, regal year 8. Approximately 1796 AD. And it isn't Egypt, it's Turkey KM 507

I bow to your expertise, Conder101. It's been years since I lived in the Middle East and my Arabic is a bit rusty. I did see a coin almost identical to this in a PCGS graded holder identified as Egyptian. I will just be quiet for now on ...