• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Penni for Your Thoughts...

4 posts in this topic

I love when fun, cool stuff happens in this hobby.

Last night I was going through some mint sets, as I generally do, looking for the next great conditional rarity for my collection, when a little surprise happened.

I had pulled a 72 Mint set from my mint set stock pile, opened it, flipped the envelope, slid the sleeves out and laid them on my jeweler's pad and was about to toss the ratty old envelope when a small glint of metal caught my eye as it went flying through the air and bounced off the carpet a time or two.

I immediately looked at the cello sleeves, sure that the Roosevelt dime just took a death leap to the carpet all the while thinking it probably was the ultra rare FT coin I've been wanting to find for years. Alas, the dimes were intact and the sleeves were intact. Well, what could this coin be?

Turns out it's a very small foreign (Finland) penni made from aluminum.

KM-44a - 1 Penni - Aluminum - minted from 1969 - 1976

No great value, but interesting how it might have ended up in this mint set envelope.

Here's a couple of quick photos, sorry the quality stinks, but you get the idea...

10796.jpg

See more journals by TD Henson

This brings to mind a fun custom set. the Penny, or Pennis, Centavos, and Cents from around the world. But the coin must be denominated with some variation of Cent or Penny.

HMMM.

I like the idea. Not a foreign coin enthusiast but it would still be cool to put this type of set together. So many interesting examples possible...