• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1886. Toned Morgan, Grade opinions please

16 posts in this topic

No questions asked, obvious AT. When the coin looks like an easter egg, its probably fake. It is also previously cleaned, and appears to be circulated. That coin is worth roughly the price of its silver - about $30.

No questions asked, obvious AT. When the coin looks like an easter egg, its probably fake. It is also previously cleaned, and appears to be circulated. That coin is worth roughly the price of its silver - about $30.

this

Thanks. i said AT too but i had to see one in hand.

now i know what im looking for.

i just past it on today for 86 $ and he was pretty happy:-)

so good deal

next one gonna be NT. but how do you make these AT??

I'm curious as to who would pay $86 for that coin?

Let me know because ill go buy tons of AT Morgans off eBay and sell them to that person! lol

to the OP:

This comment was not to offend you...... just rammble

Raw zone:

I am by no means a professional but I was told this.....

If you truly are going to take the leap into toned coins, look at many many many toned coins first.

Become aware of the different NT coins and AT coins and learn to identify them. Then become aware of the premiums the different types would cost.

then when your ready to buy, study them again!

And when you have trained your eyes to really appreciate a real toner, then you can buy.

I made a few mistakes. I also made some really good buys. It comes with time.

The point is, don't rush into it just because a coin looks cool. It may be too good to be true.

But who am I? Take what you want out of this.

Raw zone:

I am by no means a professional but I was told this.....

If you truly are going to take the leap into toned coins, look at many many many toned coins first.

Become aware of the different NT coins and AT coins and learn to identify them. Then become aware of the premiums the different types would cost.

then when your ready to buy, study them again!

And when you have trained your eyes to really appreciate a real toner, then you can buy.

I made a few mistakes. I also made some really good buys. It comes with time.

The point is, don't rush into it just because a coin looks cool. It may be too good to be true.

But who am I? Take what you want out of this.

+1

86$ is alot i my head too:-)

but where im from its pretty rare with those colors if your not on ebay..

local people has never seen these coins before.

i first discovered them when i came online.

and 99% of ebay sellers dont ship EU. (stupid in my mind)

86$ is alot i my head too:-)

but where im from its pretty rare with those colors if your not on ebay..

local people has never seen these coins before.

i first discovered them when i came online.

and 99% of ebay sellers dont ship EU. (stupid in my mind)

The reason that a majority of U.S. sellers won't ship to Europe is that it is cost prohibitive to ship a coin overseas, insured, making it more difficult to be competitive. I have had one transaction where I sold a coin to someone from overseas, and it cost them an extra $15 in shipping and insurance. That particular coin was worth it; however, a common Morgan Dollar may not be worth the extra cost.

99.9% of the time, when a silver coin has an "oil slick" iridescence, it's due to synthesized toning (AT).

i have a colorful 1883- O that actually looks like its oil slick. its a very light toning, until you put up a light to it. then the colors come out strong. its in a PCGS ms64 holder. i was always curious about why the toning looked different than my others. must be part of that .1 % =)