• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please tell me something about this. 1649

5 posts in this topic

Just by reading the coin, you can tell it is a Thaler, minted in 1649, from the German duchy of Brunswick-Luneburg-Celle, from the Duke Christian Ludovicus.

A quick application of Google reveals this coin to be worth about $300 in VF - so I would probably call this F, and estimate it at $150.

Sorry for my delayed reply. What Jason (physics-fan) said is correct, but less than descriptive to help you clearly describe the coin.

This is a 1649-LW Thaler, KM #211

You can see a full description here: http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/WorldCoinPrices.aspx?category=102240&worldcoinid=267930

For what it's worth, the obverse of the coin is the crown side. The reverse is the horse side. The coin you have shown appears to exhibit fairly strong machine doubling. The flat areas on both sides of the horse's tail are trademarks of this kind of doubling. I would disagree with a grade of "Fine" as suggested before, and I would say your example is a nice Very Fine example. The weak strike areas are rather common for the coins from this era, usually due to planchet thickness inconsistencies.