• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1956 Jefferson Nickel NGC MS66 by lehigh96

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Obtained a 1956 Jefferson Nickel NGC MS66 from drbobcoins (E-Bay seller) for $23.49 and 3 registry points.

This auction was won using a max bid of $21.00.

1956 5C MS66: NGC Census: (199/16). PCGS Population (101/0) (2/2012).

Seller: E-Bay Seller: drbobcoins

E-Bay Listing: 120858823835

Ended: Feb 18, 201211:20:24 PST

Coin Description:

A wonderfully lustrous and well struck example with a very attractive silver grey patina. A few significant marks including the one the shoulder limit the grade to MS66.

Comments:

At first glance, the overall strike, luster, and eye appeal lead the observer to immediate think MS67. It is only upon closer inspection that the grade limiting marks appear. Personally, I would like to see this premium quality coin reside in an MS66+ holder.

What puzzles me about this coin is the point assignment. With a total population of 300/16, this coin is only worth 3 points in the NGC registry. Most of the other later date Jefferson Nickels are worth anywhere from 20-50 points in MS66 with similar populations. I guess I will just have to keep my eye out for one of the MS67 examples.

10767.jpg

See more journals by lehigh96

This one could be just a mistake on their part... Might be a candidate to hit the "Request Score Correction" link. I've had success with it in the past, when the values are incongruous. If you've never used it, you can find it by clicking on the year and viewing all scores and just above the scores on the left is the aforementioned link.

I'm with you on the three points. I call them three point wonders. I have the same problem with Morgans, I can buy an AU 1880-CC for $335 and get just three points or spend $540 to get 565 points. The real issue is $335 for a measly three points. Now I don't collect for points, but there are limits! There is no way that a coin one grade level down from the top pop should be only three points.

Gary