• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT IS AN EAC GRADER AND WHAT IS THEIR PURPOSE

37 posts in this topic

Bill please see Conder's note above. Given that the rough texture is as-struck, I would be much more in line with the AU grade level, since there wouldn't be deductions for corrosion and/or recoloring. But still, the PCGS "MS-anything" grade is a crock, and I suspect you agree.

My grade for this coin from the get-go was AU-58. I never said anything about "Mint State" except what PCGS said about it. When I hear EF-45 or even AU-50 I'm thinking of a dealer who is out to pound me down to buy the coin at a lower price, and frankly I resent that.

This shows the folly of ultra conservative EAC grading gone amonk. When EAC grading is appiled this way it does not relate to market prices or even the standards that collectors of other early coins apply, it's just a way for some collectors to defend their coin's position in the condition census by under grading other people's coins.

Latter I'll post a picture of a 1795 half eagle in AU-55. I guess I'd better get ready to have that down graded in EF-40 because it really is an AU without an Mint State pretentions.

This shows the folly of ultra conservative EAC grading gone amonk. When EAC grading is appiled this way it does not relate to market prices or even the standards that collectors of other early coins apply, it's just a way for some collectors to defend their coin's position in the condition census by under grading other people's coins.

Bill, I really do not understand what you are stating there. As I alluded in a previous post, once a coin is high in the condition census, then you have to throw out the price guides. That's just plain common sense that (most) people understand, and is exactly the same as coins that are "pop tops". Price guides are only "guides" after all, and really have no practical application at super-duper high-grade condition census/pop top coins.

Again, if some EAC person is trying to rip you off (and I'm stating this to anyone out there) by stating an EAC grade, then trying to buy the coin using a market grade price-guide, please let me or some other EACer know. That's obviously unethical.

Just curious -- would someone care to define "conservative grading?"

I think of conservative grading as grading on the low side of a coin on the borderline between two grades. If a coin is graded well below what it should be graded it would be considered misgraded rather than conservatively graded.

Bill mentioned that this was from the Dan Holmes collection so I checked the sale to see how it was graded there.

Del Bland, one of the keepers of the EAC Condition Census called it an AU-50 tied for 6th finest known

Bill Noyes, also a keeper of the Condition Census called it an AU-50 net XF-45 tied for 5th finest known. (Bill is known for being heavy on deductions. And yes there are two condition censuses. Both of these men have been keeping condition census records for over 40 years.)

The Auction house grade was AU-50+ (The Goldbergs have been heavily involved with the early copper market since the early 80's)

PCGS called it a MS-62

So five EACers independently have each come up with pretty much the same grade. It was mentioned earlier that EAC grades can vary quite a bit. That has not been my experience when dealing with experienced EACers. We each may have our own pet likes and dislikes when dealing with problems, but somehow we all seem to come up with the same net grades most of the time.