• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1971-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 by lehigh96

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Obtained a 1971-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 from asdfy (E-Bay seller) for $27 and 123 registry points.

The coin was won using a max bid of $35.50.

1971-D JEFFERSON NICKEL NGC MS67

Seller: E-Bay Seller: asdfy

E-Bay Listing: 270899026822

Ended: Jan 29, 201218:08:49 PST

Coin Description:

This coin should be captioned, DIE WEAR EVERYWHERE. An untoned premium gem with MS67 surfaces with respect to marks, strike, and luster. A single mark on the steps precludes the full step designation.

Comments:

I have never seen another coin from any series so plagued by die wear as the present example. I estimate that over 90% of the surfaces exhibit evidence of die fatigue. To be honest, it is distracting when viewed close up in a photo or under a glass, but when viewed from a distance, the effect on the luster of the coin is quite attractive and very unique. The more I look at this coin, the more I like it.

10600.jpg

See more journals by lehigh96

Here is a larger photo of the coin. As stated, the closer you get to the coin, the more disturbing the die wear appears.

JN1971-DNGCMS671.jpg

Once you zoom out, the die wear seems to blend with the surfaces and just gives it a very lustrous yet grainy look.

JN1971-DNGCMS67OH.jpg

Future collectors may go OLD SCHOOL on full steps 5c ... different reasons for lacking FS merit different premiums IMO, esp. in low FS years

I think I might have even bid in that auction, Paul!

asdfy is the poor man's datentype on ebay - he doesn't list as often, so his auctions don't attract the ravenous bidding of datentype's. But he does list registry gems and occasionally top pops. His NGC handle is the same.

Most of my clad 25c registry I bought from asdfy.

Great looking nickel. I learn something new each time I read your posts.

I have purchased a few mint raw nickels from the fifties and sixties. Now I will go back and look at the steps and die wear marks, under my new digital microscope camera.

Mr. asdfy does sound like old school: precise, cares for his coins and values the coin; not the coin value. He appreciates knowing his coins will be accepted and placed into a good home.

I have purchased from both asdfy and datentype and I believe asdfy is addicted to the chase as he seems to have full runs of coins listed in liquidation style. I don't have any problems with that at all! :banana:

Always nice to see a seller who has not only nice offerings but also cares for the coins.

He helped me fill in quite a few spots in my proof washington set.